My Experiences in Ireland

My Experiences in Ireland

Author
Posted Thu 19 Jan 2023 3:17 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (186 reputation)Gaining Respect (186 reputation)Gaining Respect (186 reputation)Gaining Respect (186 reputation)Gaining Respect (186 reputation)Gaining Respect (186 reputation)Gaining Respect (186 reputation)Gaining Respect (186 reputation)Gaining Respect (186 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 8
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 5 Jul 2023 8:13 PM Visits: 22
I first visited Ireland waaaaaay waaaaay back in 1992 when I was studying abroad at Nottingham University in England and we had to leave our dorms during Easter break. My fellow student and I took a ferry from Wales to Dublin and stayed a short time eating lamb stew and whatever else we thought was culturally appropriate and authentic and visited the James Joyce statue and The Book of Kells. Then we took another ferry to France. 

When I worked in the Chrysler Building in New York City around 1998 a co worker went on a horse back riding along the coast of Ireland tour and ever since, still to this very day, I have wanted to do that as well. I enquired years ago if a vegan friendly version of that tour would be available and I was excited to hear it was. Someone please send me money or an opportunity to do this in exchange for travel writing or something. Thanks!

I was in love with the romanticized Irish pagan history and was super jealous at the end of "P.S. I Love You" when they ended up getting to stay in Ireland. And one of my favorite bands since 1985 was U2. And I do find I like quite a lot of Irish rock artists and I lovelovelove Tori Amos' song "Northern Lad" so much it made we wish I had ever known any lad at all from Northern Ireland ever.

The photo attached is from a more recent trip of St. Kevin's in Glendalough which I heard about from the lady I sat next to at The Ruby Sessions I attended that featured artist Roe who I had seen open up for Snow Patrol. I found out from the lady I caught the bus back to St. Stephen's Green with leaving Glendalough that the stairs-y mountain from Star Wars was in there somewhere. So, now I HAVE to go back because - D'oh! (*facepalm*)

Attachments
glendalough.jpg (230 views, 3.00 MB)
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 19 Jan 2023 10:34 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Fri 12 Jul 2024 10:38 AM Visits: 13.4K
Hi Carell,

Thanks for joining us here with some lovely information on your time with us, a while ago! :)

Glendalough is a great place to visit for anyone and is easily reached by public transport or car.

The filming locations for Star Wars are famous over in County Kerry at Skellig Michael and up in Malin Head, County Donegal. Glendalough wasn't a location that we recognise but you never know!

Once again, thanks for sharing this image and details of your time with us! Hopefully, you will be able to return and see some more of what the island of Ireland has to offer. 💚

Martin