Gluten free diet

Gluten free diet

Author
Posted Wed 25 Jan 2023 9:59 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 10
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 25 Jan 2023 10:05 AM Visits: 734
Hello everybody! I apologize in advance for any mistakes as English isn't my mother tongue. I'm from Poland and have some questions about accessibility of gluten free products in popular stores. My nephew is going on a school trip to Cork or Mallow sometime in June. We don't know any more details now, i.e. where are they going to stay and eat, what is it going to look like (studying or just sightseeing). But we are very concerned about him going since he has a celiac disease. He must follow strict rules and eat gluten free foods only. He can prepare easy meals and sandwiches. As far as we know, he would be able to register a bigger luggage at the airport. We plan on packing him with gluten free food, any kind that would be allowed (like rolls, bread, dried sausage, originally packed soups just to heat up, sauces, pasta, nutella, fruit jam and pots to prepare his own food). But if we find out he cannot take same of those things, one of the options is he may need to go to the store and buy it there. My first questions are:
- Do you think or know if the stores like Lidl, Aldi (don't know what else do you have there) offer gluten free products? 
- Could you help me reach Irish Border Service? E-mail address or phone number preferable. I'd like to e-mail them and ask what would my nephew be able to come to Ireland with in his luggage, like to get a list of allowed and forbidden products.
- Could you give me any contact to the gluten free people of Ireland? Facebook groups, local associations, whatever. I have some difficulties looking for them, don't know if there are any actually. But, you know, maybe you know someone, who knows someone...
- If we're from Poland, UE country, and if my nephew won't be able to travel with the food in his suitcase, can we send the package to Ireland (let's say he stays in a hotel, so there) with his food for example the week before he arrives? Maybe you know the answer, but I will ask the border guards by the way.
One more thing - we can get something like a medical certification with translation by the sworn translator, he will carry it around everywhere at the airports. It will show that he has to have this gluten free food since it is a kind of medication for him actually. 

I'm looking forward for your help and answers. Thank you for any advice in advance. You can ask questions, I'm new here, as we hadn't needed this kind of help earlier.

Have a nice day, Asia (which is short for Joanna in Polish :))

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 25 Jan 2023 3:09 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 2:22 PM Visits: 658
Hi Joanna,

It's good to hear that your nephew is travelling to Ireland this year. I'm sure he will have a wonderful time.

I would encourage you to check out this Customs and Borders page, where you can find lots of useful information related to your queries.

Most supermarkets in Ireland do have a gluten-free section, including Lidl. You can also find a very useful thread on this topic here.

Finally, you can find more relevant information on the Gluten Free Ireland website.

I hope this information will be helpful to you.

Regards,
Eoin