Wild Camping and Backpacking

Wild Camping and Backpacking

Author
Posted Thu 26 Jan 2023 5:09 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 27 Jan 2023 11:52 PM Visits: 8
I am planning to visit Ireland this year, probably June, and I would really like to do some hiking/backpacking and wild camping somewhere for 3 or 4 nights. I'm having a bit of a difficult time finding a place.
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 27 Jan 2023 5:29 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 18
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 10:48 PM Visits: 25.8K
Hi Reba,

We're so happy to hear you're planning a trip to Ireland this year! It's a wonderful idea to explore our countryside on foot and be surrounded by nature day and night! 🥾⛺

Wild camping is restricted on our island for safety and insurance reasons. There are some National Parks that are happy to provide you with a permit for wild camping within their boundaries. Have a look at the National Parks & Wildlife Service's page for more information. If you'd like to camp on private land, you would need the landowner's permission. Otherwise, there are plenty of campsites to choose from. Have a read on our website for tips on camping, some suggestions for wonderful locations and links to various campsites.

Is this your first trip to Ireland, or have you explored our island in other ways before? 🚗🚍

Best wishes,
Rebecca ☘️
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 27 Jan 2023 10:47 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 27 Jan 2023 11:52 PM Visits: 8
Hi thanks for the information, I've looked at the National Parks website previously and cannot find anything about camping anywhere. This will be my first trip to Ireland. Logistics for what I want to do is proving more difficult than I thought it would.
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 29 Jan 2023 8:43 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 3:27 PM Visits: 76K
Hi Reba,

Not to worry, wild camping in Ireland's National Parks isn't really advertised but is definitely possible and an enjoyable experience. Do you already know in which parts of Ireland are you looking to pitch your tent for the night? 

The Wicklow Mountains National Park mentions specific guidelines for overnight hikers, same goes for Connemara National Park which allows wild camping in its most remote parts. I'd suggest visiting the "Things to Do" section of the National Parks website to find out more about wild camping.

As Rebecca said, it's best to obtain the landowner's permission to camp anywhere else.

I'd love to hear more about your itinerary. Are you planning to hike as well?

Cheers,
Antoine