A Little Work, A Little Play

A Little Work, A Little Play

Author
Posted Thu 16 Feb 2023 6:39 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 16 Feb 2023 6:35 AM Visits: 3
I'm leading a work group to Ireland in July for a conference in Dublin. We are arriving midday on a Monday and the Conference starts on Saturday. I'm hoping to leave Dublin immediately and return on Friday, as the conference will have us there for 6 days. Hopefully there are evening options for the many fun activities I see in Dublin.

My biggest goal is to see the Cliffs of Moher, followed by experiencing the smaller communities, music, and the outdoors in general. There really hasn't been anything I've seen that I don't want to do, but I'm struggling to make a cohesive trip that lets us meaningfully engage with our surroundings.

An added bonus would be to find a region with Burtons -- my family name and it would be lovely to see where we came from, but the rest of the group may not see the draw if it's not part of something else interesting!

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 16 Feb 2023 10:56 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Amber,

It sounds like a wonderful opportunity for you all to see a little of the island of Ireland before the work starts in Dublin!

As there is a group of you, a private tour may work out best to get to the areas you would like to see most. Operators such as MunsterBus Tours, Kennedy & Carr, Paddywagon Tours, and Butlers Tours offer private tours so that you can select the type of places you would like to see.

If you fancy going it alone and organizing your own transport, accommodation, and trip ideas, we have some excellent pages of information to help there too. You could opt for a 2 base approach and use say Galway and Killarney as your stay locations and have day trips in an around these spots. Both are reachable by public transport from Dublin, Transport for Ireland is a great website to see all transport options.

The surname Burton wouldn't be the most popular name but John Grenham's website suggests the Ulster region to be the most likely location for any ancestors.

Hopefully, this has helped and not added to the confusion! :)

Some of our members may have ideas too.

How many of your work colleagues are on this conference trip?