10 Days - No Itinerary. Will it be difficult to secure accommodations for same-day check in?

10 Days - No Itinerary. Will it be difficult to secure accommodations...

Author
Posted Fri 24 Feb 2023 6:19 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 27 Feb 2023 3:09 PM Visits: 7
I am planning a solo trip to Ireland.
It has been a dream of mine for years, and at the end of May, I get to live that dream!
My plan?  Fly to Dublin, train to Cork, hire a car, meet locals and take their advice on the best of the best, as I travel North.

I have booked my first and last night in Dublin.  Aside from that, I have no concrete plans.

I am coming for the hospitality - not the castles. I am coming for the charm of smaller towns - not the bustle of the big city. I am coming for the music, the smiles, the stories and the laughter - not for a history lesson.

My hope is to go where the wind takes me, and find accommodations along the way. Will I find that difficult? 

Is it considered impolite to book a B&B for same day stays?
Do I need to worry about the end of May being a busy tourist season, limiting availability?

Thank you for any advice you can lend!

Cheers!
Sadie

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 26 Feb 2023 6:47 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (355 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (355 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (355 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (355 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (355 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (355 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (355 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (355 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (355 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 5:43 PM Visits: 644
Hi Sadie,

It's great to hear that you are planning to visit Ireland in May and realise a dream!

Your plan to travel where the wind takes you is very interesting and I'm sure that you will have a wonderful time. The end of May should be quite busy in terms of tourism, though perhaps not as busy as later in the summer.

It's quite likely that B&Bs around the island will be busy and so it is advised that you book accommodation as early as you can in order to be sure of finding something suitable.

If you are looking for more information on particular B&Bs during your stay, it's a good idea to check out availability on B&B Ireland.

Regards,
Eoin
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 27 Feb 2023 9:41 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29 reputation)Industry Member (29 reputation)Industry Member (29 reputation)Industry Member (29 reputation)Industry Member (29 reputation)Industry Member (29 reputation)Industry Member (29 reputation)Industry Member (29 reputation)Industry Member (29 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 9
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Mon 11 Sep 2023 2:08 PM Visits: 1.1K
Hi Sadie

It is great that you are getting to realise your dream of visiting Ireland.

B&Bs are a great choice when travelling solo as you will be staying with welcoming hosts in safe and friendly surroundings. It’s also a great opportunity to meet other guests and share travel stories. 

I agree with Eoin that B&Bs around the island will be busy in May and that you should book your accommodation early to secure the homes in the areas you want to explore. Bed and Breakfasts are ideal if you want to soak up the unique Irish experience.

Below are links to a couple of stories that may be of interest to you: 

Travelling Solo in Ireland

Teryle’s Solo Travelling Experience

The B&B Experience

Have a great trip!
Regards
Claire