Saint Patrick's Country County Down

Saint Patrick's Country County Down

Author
Posted Tue 7 Mar 2023 4:27 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (172 reputation)Industry Member (172 reputation)Industry Member (172 reputation)Industry Member (172 reputation)Industry Member (172 reputation)Industry Member (172 reputation)Industry Member (172 reputation)Industry Member (172 reputation)Industry Member (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 5
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 9 Mar 2023 10:46 AM Visits: 7
In Spring 2022 I was contacted by Santiago Coffey, an Argentinian married to an American lady and living in the US. He wanted a half day tour of Saint Patrick's Country,County Down. When I met the lovely couple, their beautiful young son called Patrick and Santiago’s sister I learnt that Santiago had attended a school called Saint Brigid's in Buenos Aires. He wanted to learn all about Saint Brigid as well!

We spent a wonderful morning together starting on Cathedral Hill, Downpatrick where we visited the grave of saints Patrick, Brigid and Colmcille. The historic town of Downpatrick is one of the most important spiritual sites on the island of Ireland. Then we travelled to Saint Patrick's Wells and Bathhouses a short distance from Downpatrick. The holy wells have been a place of pilgrimage for centuries. We visited Saul church, the site of Saint Patrick's first church in Ireland. Finally we travelled a short distance to Slieve Patrick, the tallest statue of St Patrick in the world.
 Over the last three years I have been involved in an international cultural heritage project. My chosen theme was Saint Brigid and the cultural heritage traditions associated with her, in particular the making of the Saint Brigid’s Cross.  I have made the Saint Brigid cross since my childhood. I shared the amazing story of Saint Brigid with the group. Follow the link below to read what Santiago thought about the tour (the highlight of his visit to Ireland).  https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g319809-d17802093-r855563134-Sustainable_Journeys_Ireland-Portaferry_County_Down_Northern_Ireland.html 
The first image is a photograph of the family at the grave of Ireland’s three patron saints in Downpatrick. Also in the picture is Santiago's sister. To find out more about the tours I offer in Saint Patrick’s country and coastal county Down(less than 1 hour from Belfast and less than 2 hours from Dublin) go to https://sustainablejourneysireland.com
Attachments