Citizenship

Citizenship

Author
Posted Sun 12 Mar 2023 6:32 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 8
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 12 Mar 2023 3:36 PM Visits: 135
My grandfather was born in County Armagh and emigrated to the United States in 1890. Can I become a dual Irish/American citizen and if so, how do I start the process? 
Thanks
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 12 Mar 2023 12:01 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (377 reputation)Community Expert (377 reputation)Community Expert (377 reputation)Community Expert (377 reputation)Community Expert (377 reputation)Community Expert (377 reputation)Community Expert (377 reputation)Community Expert (377 reputation)Community Expert (377 reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 9:14 PM Visits: 3.1K
Hi John,

Thanks for reaching out. It is great to hear you were able to trace your family roots to County Armagh, have you ever had the chance to visit? We have a dedicated community called Ireland Family History where you can share your experience, family story or try to find out further information on your Irish roots. 

In terms of dual citizenship, if one of your grandparents was born in Ireland, but neither of your parents was born in Ireland, you may become an Irish citizen. You will need to have your birth registered in the Foreign Births Register. You can find out all the information you need on the Citizen Information page here

Let me know if you have any other questions and I would be glad to help out. 

Cathaoir 
Profile Picture
b f
Posted Tue 30 May 2023 10:50 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 4
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 30 May 2023 10:50 AM Visits: 84
As 3rd generation Irish American, I wish to return home. I’m sickened and shamed by dysfunctional Americanism. How can I gain Irish citizenship?