Irish genealogy Crowley and Ryan

Irish genealogy Crowley and Ryan

Author
Posted Sat 25 Mar 2023 11:29 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 25 Mar 2023 11:26 PM Visits: 2
Desperately trying to trace my ancestors. The Crowleys left County Cork around 1825. Two brothers, Michael and Patrick, I believe emigrated to Peterborough, Canada. Later, children would move to New York State, settling in the western part (Victor, Bloomfield, Canandaigua). The Ryan side, a little tricky. All I know is that Patrick Ryan left County Mayo (I believe) with Margaret McGrael (McGrail?) in the 1840s. I believe Margaret may have been a landowner, but Patrick definitely was not. They may have gone to Liverpool first before settling in Victor, NY. They are buried in St. Patrick’s Cemetery in Victor.
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 26 Mar 2023 10:46 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 10
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 4:38 PM Visits: 3K
Hi Susan, 

Thanks for reaching out and sharing what you know about your ancestors. 

Prior to 1864 records were kept in the form of church and parish records, while some of these have been regrettably lost, all the surviving records have been sorted into county-based genealogical centers. This link also includes property and landed estates, so this could help with your research on Margaret. You can also search the church records here

Let me know if you have any other questions and I would be happy to help. 

Cathaoir
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 26 Mar 2023 11:14 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 8 minutes ago Visits: 76K
Hi Susan,

I'm sure you'll eventually find out more about your ancestors! Fingers crossed. 🤞 

Have you tried looking into the ship or migration records ? There are some for Canada and for the US (Ellis Island)
As Cathaoir said, our county-based genealogy centers could be of help. The Roots Ireland website is a convenient way to look for existing Co. Cork birth or wedding certificates.

Hopefully some of our genealogy experts will jump in! 😊

Cheers,
Antoine