Travel Tips

Travel Tips

Author
Posted Tue 11 Apr 2023 12:26 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 15
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Sat 23 Mar 2024 1:45 PM Visits: 628
Planning to come to Ireland?
Here are some tips to ensure your trip is as magical as the Emerald Isle itself!

Before you head off on your adventures, it's important to ensure that you have all the necessary travel documents. If you're a foreign national, you will need a valid passport to enter Ireland. Some visitors may also require a visa, depending on their nationality. You can find all the necessary information on the Irish Government website or the Northern Ireland Government website or by contacting your local embassy. 

If you're flying to Ireland, you can find direct flights to Dublin or Shannon Airport from many international destinations. However, if you're coming from further afield, you may need to connect through another European city. Once you arrive, there are plenty of public transportation options available to help you get around, including buses, trains and taxis. Alternatively, you can rent a car! Although renting a car will ensure you have the most freedom to discover and explore, the island of Ireland is well-connected and you won't have issues without one. If you do decide to opt for car rental, be prepared for windy (by windy I mean curvy), old, country roads - which is the funniest part about it if you ask me.  

Whether you're looking for a cozy B&B or a luxurious hotel, Ireland has a wide range of accommodation options to suit every budget and preference. However, it's important to book your accommodation in advance, especially if you're planning to visit during a busy period.  This will help you to secure the best rates and ensure availability. Some popular options include booking through hotel or B&B booking websites, or even booking directly via phone call. There are some adorable old-style cottages available to stay in that give you a real taste of traditional Irish life which I would highly recommend.  

In terms of currency, Northern Ireland uses the pound sterling and The Republic of Ireland Ireland uses the euro as its currency. There are ATMS and currency exchanges available all over the Island of Ireland so you can easily withdraw the desired currency. Most places also accept credit card. 

It's always the right time to come to Ireland, each season is unique and magnificent :) In saying this, due to the climate in Ireland, it's always a good idea to pack some warm layers and waterproof clothing, even in the summer months. Checking the weather forecast before you set off for the day is also a good habit to get into, so you can be prepared for any unexpected rain or wind.

If you're coming from a country with a different type of electrical outlet, you'll need a power adapter to use your devices in Ireland. We use the Type G plug, so make sure to bring an adapter with you or purchase one at a local shop once you arrive.

In this travel checklist you can find some further bits and pieces to consider that will help make your trip as smooth-sailing and seamless as possible! Keep us posted on how helpful these tips are and feel free to add anything at all that you found helpful before or during your trip to the island of Ireland. :) Happy planning!

Tags
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 11 Apr 2023 12:37 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 2:02 PM Visits: 76K
These local travel tips are just amazing, Maedhbh!

I would add the following tips I wish I knew on my first visit to Ireland.

- Make use of public transportation passes: I can't stress this enough, this is especially valid for Dublin and big cities - By getting a leap visitor card, you can skip the tour busses and explore the city and beyond at your own pace while saving a lot of money. You can even use it to reach the airport and take the DART train, all the way to Co. Wicklow.

- Eat at pubs and enjoy the craic: You can eat affordably and enjoy live music and friendly conversations - What else can you ask for? My top 3 picks on the menu:  Fish & chips, Irish stew and Bangers & Mash.

- Outdoors activities are often free:  and they are some of the best things to do here! Hiking our cliff paths, cycling our greenways or even sea swimming are exhilarating things to do on the Emerald Isle.
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 13 Apr 2023 5:08 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 34
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 4:14 PM Visits: 13.9K
These tips are great, guys! I would like to add a few more useful tips when visiting Ireland.

- If it's your first time in Ireland, plan your itinerary in advance. Ireland is quite a large island and there are many things to see and do. Note down the things you'd like to see, and be sure to figure out your travel time so that you can maximize your time and decide when to take a break to stretch your legs.

- Don't miss the local villages: Ireland is famous for its quaint little villages along Dublin Bay, the Wild Atlantic Way, or the Causeway Coastal Route. So make sure you take some time to discover these magical places. And if in doubt, ask someone local: Irish people are known for their hospitality, so don't be shy and ask them for some tips on small places to visit.

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 9 Apr 2024 3:07 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (36 reputation)New Member (36 reputation)New Member (36 reputation)New Member (36 reputation)New Member (36 reputation)New Member (36 reputation)New Member (36 reputation)New Member (36 reputation)New Member (36 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 9 Apr 2024 3:03 PM Visits: 3
Awesome tips, I would recommend for anyone traveling from long-haul destinations to rent portable wifi, a cost effective alternative to keep you connected throughout your stay in Ireland. It's great when leaving the accommodation and you are exploring the sightseeings, booking activities and sharing your experience online instantly without the worries of roaming fees. Worth considering it!