Please help with Itinerary

Please help with Itinerary

Author
Posted Tue 25 Apr 2023 6:05 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 25 Apr 2023 6:03 PM Visits: 6
Hello - I am planning a rather last minute trip to Ireland. I would like advice from Irelanders and those experienced in traveling to Ireland.
We have limited time - 8 full days and 2 travel days. Ireland is so beautiful and interesting, there to so much to see and too little time.
My husband and I will be traveling with my 75 year old parents. My parents are very active but my dad needs regular breaks or a stop in a nearby pub ;) I really want this trip to be special for my parents because it will likely be the last big trip they will experience together.
We are from USA (Kansas City, Kansas and Des Moines, Iowa.) Good, Down to Earth Midwesterners (Irish decent.)
Tentative Dates: August 28 - September 5 - We will fly into Dublin (8am arrival on Aug 29)
We will likely rent a car or used Trains if possible.
————————
Our Irish Wish List:
We would like to stay in smaller towns - we are looking for quaint, beautiful towns with good restaurants and interesting things to do. We would like less-touristy activities and tours. Considering Dublin, Kinsale and Dingle.
We prefer AirBnB or Bed and Breakfasts.
————————
My Questions:
Is Aug 28 - Sept 5 a good time to visit? How’s the Weather and Crowds?
What Towns would you recommend? And preferred Accommodations?
What Tours / Activities would you recommend?

Thank you in advance!

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 26 Apr 2023 1:01 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 11 hours ago Visits: 76.1K
Hello Kendall,

It is so good to hear that you and your parents are planning to visit! I can tell that you are putting your heart into planning the perfect adventure for your family and would be more than happy to offer a bit of inspiration and advice to help. It sounds like you already have a wonderful idea of where to go and what to do, so I will try to just offer fresh suggestions.

If you ask me, there isn’t a bad time of year to visit Ireland. As an island, the weather here is typically quite mild and there is something to love in every season. Coming just as summer fades into autumn means the temperature shouldn’t be too warm, and we even have a tool on our website for predicting what the weather might look like in each month.

Autumn has some unique features that might appeal to you and your family. For example, you’d be visiting right in time for whale-spotting season! The yearly migration brings finn and minke whales up along Ireland’s west coast during this time. Sometimes you can even see these magnificent creatures from the shoreline, though there are also boats that go out to get closer. If whales aren’t your cup of tea, there’s plenty more to see and do!

As you are looking to find some spots off the beaten path, Ireland’s Hidden Heartlands might be calling you. In the very heart of Ireland, there’s a mixture of historical landmarks, quaint little towns, and much more to explore. The article I linked offers insight into a ton of different spots to explore in Ireland’s Hidden Heartlands, and I’d encourage you to look through and see which spots work best for you and your family.

Finally, since you’ll be visiting when the weather is nice, I’d be remiss to not recommend a few beaches! Between us, Ireland’s beaches may be exactly what you’re looking for. There is no shortage of quiet coastal towns where you can enjoy a pint at a local pub and just take in the atmosphere. I quite like the food along the coast as well! Many restaurants feature the catch of the day - fresh Irish seafood that is absolutely delicious.

I do hope that this gives you some fresh inspiration! I’d be happy to help more, so if you have any questions please feel free to reach out.

Warmly,
Antoine