Richard Dillon ( Great Great Grandfather)

Richard Dillon ( Great Great Grandfather)

Author
Posted Fri 28 Apr 2023 7:43 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 26 Sep 2023 9:25 PM Visits: 17
Hello,
I live in Newfoundland Canada and Fifth generation of  Ireland.
I am trying to find information on a Richard Dillon born between 1825-1827 of Waterford. I have tried other sources with no luck on finding out anything on him. He came to Newfoundland to go fishing I am thinking perhaps early to mid 1840’s and he Married a local Woman Mary Ryan around 1846. He passed away here in 1900. His first born son was Michael so perhaps Richards Father was Michael. Just wondering if anyone here may have information on Dillons in Waterford from that time frame.

Best Regards
Gary

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 29 Apr 2023 1:43 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (13 reputation)Community Member (13 reputation)Community Member (13 reputation)Community Member (13 reputation)Community Member (13 reputation)Community Member (13 reputation)Community Member (13 reputation)Community Member (13 reputation)Community Member (13 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 29 Apr 2023 3:18 PM Visits: 91
Hi Gary,

I understand that it can be a bit tough to find information about your family tree, even for those who have always lived on our shores. I’m happy to share some information that will hopefully point you in the right direction.

The first thing I'd suggest is taking a peek at our Ireland Family History threads. One of our experts put together a very lovely guide about how to search for ancestry information. You mentioned Richard Dillon would have been born in Waterford, contacting the Waterford Heritage Genealogical Centre might be a good starting point. 
They can be contacted by using the email or phone number provided on their website.

Have you checked the Church records and Civil records on the Irish Genealogy website?
This free of charge search tool that can aide in bringing you closer to the answers you seek.

There is also an advisory Facebook Page ran by our friends, Ireland Family History, who love to give research tips, as well as an organisation called Ireland Reaching Out, where volunteers attempt to connect Irish descendants to their roots, through reverse genealogical research.

I wish you all the best with your search!
Please don't hesitate to reach out again if you need any more suggestions.

Megan

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 29 Apr 2023 6:30 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)
Thank you Megan for your reply , there have been several places I have tried including Waterford  Heritage where I was told records for that time frame are no longer there, he did a quick search but with no records he couldn’t help me thus the reason I tried this site. I have all information on family who came from his line in Newfoundland but nothing from Waterford only his rough birth year. I did find information on another Richard born 1827 to a Jonathan a Watch maker but this is not my Family as this Richard passed away in Ireland , he was the only Richard I could find. I will try some of the sites you provided but in the mean time if someone out there who may have a lead on  my Richard out there please help if only a small one as I would follow the lead to see where it takes , I don’t mine doing the research as  it’s like like a big puzzle making the search great fun to do but every now and again you just need a little help.

Gary
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 30 Apr 2023 6:32 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 1:03 PM Visits: 661
Hi Gary,

It certainly can be tricky to locate information on relatives born in Ireland prior to 1864, which was when civil registration was introduced and there was the formal registration of births, marriages, adoptions, and death.

Above, Megan has provided some excellent links and resources that may prove helpful. I wish you well in your continued research.

Regards,
Eoin
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 26 Sep 2023 9:28 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Hi ,  have tried various ways to finding out about my Great Great Grand father Richard Dillon of Waterford who came to St Johns Newfoundland but still no luck. I have tried the Historical Society in Waterford but again no luck. Are there any Dillons in Waterford you may know of Richard Dillon family of this time frame. Richard married a local woman again with Irish roots in 1846 so Richard came here as a very young man.
I am trying to find out who his Father and Mother are as well as any siblings if any. I have been working on this project for several years but can’t seem to find and information on his time or Family in Ireland.
Please if you could please any help I wold be most thankful.