Best way to get to Magherafelt

Best way to get to Magherafelt

Author
Posted Mon 15 May 2023 5:04 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (176 reputation)Gaining Respect (176 reputation)Gaining Respect (176 reputation)Gaining Respect (176 reputation)Gaining Respect (176 reputation)Gaining Respect (176 reputation)Gaining Respect (176 reputation)Gaining Respect (176 reputation)Gaining Respect (176 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 19 May 2023 9:44 PM Visits: 11
Hi! Does anyone know the fastest way to get from Belfast to Magherafelt? I don't have much time, so wondering if a public transit bus is best or a taxi or Uber? My grandfather was from there, so wanted to go to see what the area looks like.

Thanks very much for your time!

T
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 15 May 2023 10:07 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 10
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 15 Apr 2024 4:38 PM Visits: 3K
Hi Tanya,

It is great to hear you want to visit Magherafelt and see where your grandfather came from. 

You can reach Magherafelt from Europa Bus Station in Belfast. You will need to board the 212, then get off at Castledawson Park and Ride where you will then get on the 127 service into Magherafelt. The journey in total is about one hour. 

You can find out more here as well as other travel options such as taxis etc. 

Let me know if you have any other questions and I would be happy to help out. 

Cathaoir
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 16 May 2023 6:23 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (176 reputation)Gaining Respect (176 reputation)Gaining Respect (176 reputation)Gaining Respect (176 reputation)Gaining Respect (176 reputation)Gaining Respect (176 reputation)Gaining Respect (176 reputation)Gaining Respect (176 reputation)Gaining Respect (176 reputation)
AMAZING!!!!  This is very helpful! Thank you so much for the prompt reply!! It's very much appreciated! :)
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 16 May 2023 10:07 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)
Hi Tanya. 

I am glad to hear this information has been useful for you! 

What have you planned for your upcoming trip? 

Cathaoir
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 17 May 2023 2:35 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
We're just in Belfast for three days, so it will be a quick trip. Hoping to go to the Titanic museum; a tour of the coast and then, of course, Magherafelt! We plan to go back next year and spend much more time there!!  
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 17 May 2023 10:20 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
That sounds fab, Tanya! 

We have an article called 'Belfast in 72 hours' which might suit you great. I would also recommend having a look at our dedicated page on the Causeway Coastal Route so you don't miss anything. 

Have a great trip, let us know if you need any help along the way. 

Cathaoir

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 17 May 2023 11:50 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
This is GREAT! Thanks so much! I guess I do have one more quick question, if that's OK. Do you know the best site to look up for ancestral questions? I was hoping to find an actual address of where my grandpa was from, but I've looked on so many sites, but have yet to find it - other than seeing he was from Magherafelt. I know there's a big drive for people wanting to find their heritage in Ireland, so just wondered if others tourists have asked the same question! Thanks again for your time!

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 18 May 2023 9:01 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
We do indeed get a fair share of people asking about ancestry and how to find their relatives. There is a whole section on the community on Ireland Family History with lots of suggestions on how and places to look for records. There is also a page or two on our Tourism Ireland website.

Magherafelt is in Northern Ireland so you may wish to start with the Public Records Office of Northern Ireland, PRONI website for some information.

Up until 1922, civil records for the whole of the island of Ireland would have been recorded with Irish Genealogy, so it is possible to look there too.

Of course, if it is in the recent past that he lived there, a trip to Magherafelt and ask in the local pub you may well find someone who knew of him or the family! 😉 What would have been his surname?

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 18 May 2023 2:00 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
You are sooooo helpful! Thanks! My grandpa's name was Francis John McIvor (although apparently some records also have his middle name as James, but that was his brother... something about records being mixed up when they were just little boys?) 

The countdown is on!!! Can't wait to get a feel of what Northern Ireland is like! I've been to the south for a few days years ago, but this will be the first trip to the north for both my husband and I. 

I can't thank you enough for all of your help!
T
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 19 May 2023 4:19 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 18
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Tue 16 Apr 2024 11:23 PM Visits: 25.4K
You are so welcome, Tanya! I'm glad that our resources are useful to you and so happy to see how excited you are about your trip! 😊 I can imagine how special it must feel for you to visit the place your grandfather was from. 💚

We wish you an amazing time in Northern Ireland and would be happy to hear about your adventures when you return!

Safe travels! ☘️
Rebecca