Mission trip to visit churches in Dublin

Mission trip to visit churches in Dublin

Author
Posted Fri 19 May 2023 2:36 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 19 May 2023 11:40 AM Visits: 466
Hello, I am from the United States.  I have a personal mission to visit as many churches worldwide as I can. 
I will arrive in Dun Laoghaire by cruise ship on 8:30 am August 22, 2023. I plan to take a train into Dublin. 
Any advice or information on a path to see as many churches or Cathedrals possible during my short visit. I have to be back on the ship by 4:30 pm.  
I look forward to my first trip to your area. Thank you for any advice,  Marie 
Power Of The Palms

Attachments
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 19 May 2023 5:40 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 18
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Tue 14 May 2024 12:59 PM Visits: 26.3K
Hi Marie,

How lovely that you can use this stop on your cruise journey to explore Dublin on your personal mission!

There are two cathedrals in Dublin, both well worth a visit: Christ Church Cathedral and Saint Patrick's Cathedral. It's about a 10 minute walk from one to the other, and you can visit both for a fee. Since August is a busy month on the island, it might be a good idea to book tickets in advance online, to hopefully avoid longer waiting times.

Further churches in this part of the city would be Whitefriar Street ChurchNewman University Church, St. Ann's Church and St. Teresa’s Church. Considering the time you have, it probably won't be possible to pay all these churches a thorough visit, but after exploring Christ Church Cathedral or St. Patrick's Cathedral, you might wish to just take a walk around the city and see the other churches from the outside.

The DART train would be your fastest option to travel from Dún Laoghaire into Dublin city. The station closest to Christ Church Cathedral is 'Tara Street' - it's about a 20 minute walk to the cathedral. I recommend you allow plenty of time to return to Dún Laoghaire and factor in potential delays and travel distance to your ship from the train station. Be aware that the city will be buzzing with lovely visitors and both walking and travel times might take longer than expected. You can find train departure and travel times on the Irish Rail website. If you use an app offering map services on your phone, you could build a nice itinerary by adding the cathedrals and churches in the order I mentioned them above.

I hope this helps! 😊

Best wishes,
Rebecca ☘️
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 20 May 2023 1:12 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 2
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 20 May 2023 1:49 AM Visits: 14
Rebecca, I can't thank you enough for such an informative answer.  I will have another chance to explore again on September 4th.  I have discovered that cruising allows me to visit more churches that I normally could.  I will book my entrance tickets tonight.  Thank you again, Marie        Power of the Palms
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 22 May 2023 8:47 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 13 minutes ago Visits: 76.2K
That's amazing to hear, Marie! I hope you'll spend an unforgettable day in Dublin. Early September is usually a great time of the year to visit churches as crowds get smaller. Let us know if you need anything else until then.

Thank you Rebecca for the amazing tips on Dublin's churches and transportation in the area. 😊