First trip to Ireland planned for CHRISTMAS!

First trip to Ireland planned for CHRISTMAS!

Author
Posted Tue 13 Jun 2023 4:23 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 20 Jun 2023 9:13 PM Visits: 325
I just purchased flights from US to Ireland for December 24-31 for myself, my husband and two sons who are 18 & 20.  
I have heard Ireland is very quiet on the 24th - 26th and possibly through the 28th - and I am getting WORRIED!
We don't have an itinerary planned yet.  While we definitely want to drive and see the cliffs, we also want to explore Dublin and other towns.  Will any towns be active on Christmas Day?  What about on the 24th and 26th??
Thanks!
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 14 Jun 2023 9:41 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 10:23 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Angela,

It's lovely that you and the family have planned to come over and see us!

Christmas is a very important family time here on the island of Ireland and we have plenty of festive cheer to go around. While it is a public holiday season, many places will open on St Stephens Day (26th) and attractions will welcome visitors, please check an individual location for specific times.

With all places closed on Christmas Day, you will need to be sure that you have somewhere booked for dinner, hotels that are open will have availability just make sure you book something. If you plan to stay in self-catering accommodation then shops will be open on the 24th but may close earlier than normal.

Christmas Day is a great time to get out to the beaches and parks anywhere all around the country. Fill up with fuel and a packed lunch and maybe watch the brave souls take to the sea for the traditional bathe! 🏊

The Cliffs of Moher are a lovely idea to visit. It is best to buy your tickets online for the best price and availability. It's just under a 3 1/2 hour drive but with an early start you can spend most of the day there. There are many coastal towns and villages around Dublin to enjoy too and the city will always have things to see and do.

There are some posts about Christmas on the community, please feel free to check them out for any other helpful information.

Hopefully, this will help with the itinerary plans, our other members may have some suggestions too! 💚

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 14 Jun 2023 5:11 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)
hi

Thanks for your response.

I have been looking into our plans and am surprised at how Ireland closes down for the Holidays.
I have done nothing but hit walls in trying to plan absolutely everything.  Would you suggest cancelling the trip?  I am getting the impression the majority of tourist attractions will be closed at least half of the time we are there - Dec 24-31?  

very frustrated

Thanks,
Angela
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 15 Jun 2023 9:35 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:57 AM Visits: 3K
Hi Angela, 

On the 24th, Dublin City Center will be very busy, with shoppers and pub goers. There's a Christmas Eve busking season on Grafton Street for charity and some pretty big artists usually show up. Finding a pub later on that day when the shops begin to close can be a great experience, with festive music and Christmas vibes.

On Christmas Day, things close down, and people tend to spend the day with their families, with large crowds going to beaches for the traditional Christmas morning swim. The Sandycove swim is the most recognized and busiest of all the Christmas dips in the capital of Dublin. Christmas Day is a great opportunity to go exploring the sights. Things that you don't need to be inside for. You'll get to see the city with very few people around with some great photo ops. 

On the 26th, many people go to the pubs for traditional Irish music and festivities, others come far and wide for the Leopardstown races. 

After this, many attractions begin to reopen such as the Guinness Storehouse and The Cliffs of Moher, and so forth. 

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Cathaoir
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 15 Jun 2023 11:05 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
hi Cathoair-

TYSM-I have never been so frustrated!  This is our first trip post pandemic and its so hard trying to find a trip that suits an adult family!  I was getting the idea, we were going to be shut out most of the trip so this is great news & can make it work.  I now know this since I sent out a bunch of emails direct to hotels and castles in Galway & Killarney yesterday who can offer accommodations, which was not so obvious with their on line booking.  

Would you be able to offer advise on where to stay?  we believe that it would be good to use Galway & Killarney as home base and then drive the scenic routes.  I found hotels in both towns for the 25th & 26 then 27th & 28 - but which would be better for Christmas & 26th and then the nights of 27 & 28???

Kindest Regards,
Angela
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 15 Jun 2023 2:16 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 2:43 PM Visits: 668
Hi Angela,

As mentioned above, Ireland during the festive period is lovely and I'm sure you and your family will have a wonderful time here. In terms of accommodation, I would recommend that you check out this Accommodation page for more information.

Both Galway and Killarney are great places to base yourselves during your trip. There are some lovely scenic routes that you can explore, including the Ring of Kerry.

In terms of spending Christmas Day and St. Stephen's Day in either Galway or Killarney before moving on, there isn't really a better option (both for great!) I would recommend that you perform some research on both places and make a judgement call after that.

Happy planning!

Regards,
Eoin