Lindsay/Reilly unknown location

Lindsay/Reilly unknown location

Author
Posted Wed 21 Jun 2023 10:19 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 25 Jun 2023 5:18 AM Visits: 15
Hi all,
Fairly recently I have found that I have 8% Irish blood running through my views. I have been researching family trees since the early 90s and it came as a surprise. One line is a few generations back from my paternal grandmother who was born in Scotland in about 1912. She emigrated to Australia as a baby. Her name was Margaret Lindsay. Following the Lindsay line up, her father was Gilbert Sinclair Lindsay, his father William, then William born in Ireland and then Barnabus/Bernard Lindsay married to Ann Lindsay. On his marriage to his 2nd wife Mary Crawford in 1862 in Hutchinsontown, Glasgow, he states that his parents are Robert Lindsay and Margaret Reilly (the R looks slightly like a K). Barnabus was a shoemaker who employed people and often had other family members staying with him. Robert Lindsay was a farmer. Bernard died at Portugal St Glasgow, but his new wife just said his parents were James and mother unknown, which I have chosen to ignore.
There are some Barnabus Reilly's in Ireland I am wondering if any could be Margaret's father. My main interest is to find out where my family are from in Ireland. I thought maybe Barnabus got his name from another family member. That is the only clue I have to work with. Thanks so much for this forum.
(Gilbert and Sinclair are not Lindsay names they are from another side of the family). Barnabus died in 1868, the 1851 census states Barnabus Lindsay Age55 Estimated Birth Year1796 RelationshipHead Spouse Ann Lindsay Where born Irland.
Also Ann Lindsay his wife (I believe she was born with that name) her census for 1851 states Ann Lindsay Age 60 Estimated Birth Year 1791 Relationship Wife Spouse Barnabus Lindsay were born Ireland. I am unsure if she was the person who was born in Seaford Down, Name Ann Lindsay Birth Date 22 May 1793 Birth Place Seaforde, Down, Ireland Father William Lindsay.
Thank you so much.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 21 Jun 2023 11:40 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)
The answer may lay in their son's inscription in the cemetery, but there is no year in the FindMyPast record.
63 1789. William LINDSAY skipper in Greenock, wife Margaret MITCHELL & their children
Greenock Cemetery

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 21 Jun 2023 3:33 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
It has been very fruitful trying to find William's death certificate. It seems Ann was his step-mother according to his death certificate at West Greenock. All the details about his job and his father's job match, it is very specific. It seems his mother's name (who probably was also born in Ireland where he is from) is Mary McCormick. I still have no idea which part of Ireland they are from.

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 22 Jun 2023 3:09 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Fri 3 May 2024 11:48 AM Visits: 669
Hi Linda,

It was lovely to read about your efforts to learn more about your Irish heritage. I'm sure other readers will also say the same thing.

I wish you well in your continued research. Perhaps this page on Irish genealogy resources will help you in this endeavor.

Regards,
Eoin
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 23 Jun 2023 3:02 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Thank you so much Eoin.
There has been a twist in this story, maybe it is more simple than I am giving it credit for.
Bernard was an informant for a Mary Lindsay's death in 1856, aged 65 years in the Central District of Glasgow. It seems like her parents are Timothy Garvie and Margaret McCormick.
Is this the same person, ie his wife, but his granddaughter got her generations mixed up. It is a complicated family I hope someone with the same DNA and has spent some time trying to work out who is who from the census comes forward to help unravel the knots. I hope also to find out what part of Ireland they come from.

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 24 Jun 2023 4:33 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Sat 9 Mar 2024 4:14 PM Visits: 1.4K
Hello Linda,

Your journey through your family history, tracing back to your Irish roots, is genuinely fascinating. The way you have meticulously followed the line, navigating the complexities and surprises along the way, is commendable. 

As you continue your research, consider various resources available to genealogists. DNA testing services can connect you with distant relatives who might have already done extensive genealogical research. Local historical societies, old newspaper archives, and professional genealogists can provide valuable assistance. Visiting locations your ancestors lived in, if feasible, can provide unique insights and potentially lead to unexpected discoveries.

Remember, every piece of information, no matter how small, brings you one step closer to understanding your family's past.
I wish you all the best in your continued research and hope that you find the Irish roots you're seeking.

Best regards.