Long waited trip

Long waited trip

Author
Posted Mon 10 Jul 2023 11:56 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 11 Jul 2023 10:29 AM Visits: 11
One of many items on our bucket list…. Visit Ireland
After we heard about my in laws trip, I had to ensure Ireland was on my list
We planned our trip for over two years , mapping out 7 days in 7 different towns/ counties to only be stifled by Covid (lockdown to friends in clifden).
With the borders from the US and Ireland is uncertainty we postponed the trip for 3 years.
Tired of sitting in anger we missed a trip of a life time , I told my wife and 2 sister in laws we were going in spring 2023. Get you husbands on board.
My one sister in law lovers her last trip and knew I wanted a small town, fishing village, cultural, Irish music , pub week, she booked 2 weeks.
I must say as an avid traveler, this was our best trip
Mind you, Ireland is tomorrow for us in the states…..
We left Canada in the morning to arrive Ireland the next day at 10 am ….. our first stop
Dublin to clifden….. 3 hour drive on the wrong side of the road and wrong side of the car…… an experience I wish on many… so fun

We arrived In clifden. My first stop was to get food and a pint. We arrived at Griffin’s at 3:55 pm , to realize they close at 4 pm.
The owner saw us leave and “chased” us to invite us in for a meal, “ the chef would like to cook for you.”
Such pleasant people—- that was the beginning…..
The people are so warming and peaceful
We stayed in town for two nights 2 days. Lowers live music was our first experience of Irish music, we hit EJS and made a few day trips Marconi - first radio transmitter and trans Atlantic flight….visited round stone , driving the coast to such beautiful landscapes

Next stop
Dolon and cliffs of mohor. Scanlon is my mother maiden name and Murphy was my wife’s family name…..excited to look them up
We visited Gus Oconner’s 2 nights in a row - enjoy bangers and many pints. We drove to Enis for the day and back to our house by the coast
Dingle was our next stop where I tried to entice my wife to hit all 54 pubs. The heritage there is really different, many of the pubs were licensed to serve alcohol but had a primary business in the warly years, some were leather smiths as well as a bakery while others were a pharmacy and post office.
The waterfront was outstanding
2 days and only 15 pubs hit……too many to name

On to Clonakilty…..just learning about Michael Collins it was exciting to visit his home…..the distillery is a must , the tour was great and sample after were very good…. Our favorite night life experience was at shanley music pub. Great family so inviting, hoping a distant relative,….
Next , off to Dungarvan…. The harbor was busy and the day all boats go in. We visited the greenway as well as multiple ruins, cemeteries old than the states….and the best fresh fish meal on the trip

Off to Howth… as I was told “HOooooT
Very touristy with many nationalities- English, Italian, Turkish, and all as welcoming as the other

We met many people in our travels. We did not find one person who worries about anything…. Never a worry and always willing to help us….

The only ring I would change about the trip is the time spent in each town….. longer would be great

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 11 Jul 2023 8:44 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Fri 17 May 2024 2:35 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting back to us with details of your time here on the island of Ireland!

It certainly sounds like you all had a super time on your long awaited visit. 🛬 You did very well to land in Dublin and drive over to Clifden the same morning, all very new experiences. 🚗

The Wild Atlantic Way has plenty of great places to stop and you certainly made good use of the bases that you chose and visiting all of the main spots along the way. Did you enjoy the scenery as you drove along, we would say that you stopped at plenty of places to take a photo or two? 📷

It's lovely to hear that you had so many positive interactions with everyone that you met, we try to be as helpful and welcoming as possible to the many people who take the time to come and see our many attractions from scenic views to bars filled with music and local events.

It sounds like we may well see you again, you are more than welcome! 💚

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 11 Jul 2023 10:31 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 11 Jul 2023 10:29 AM Visits: 11
Over 394 videos and pics taken. Most of mine were at rest areas and towns. One would be crazy to take any while driving on the roads that are 2 length apart with Rick walls in each side with an occasional bus taking off the side view mirror

Cork screw roads and mountain peeks were outstanding