How to go to this viewpoint

How to go to this viewpoint

Author
Posted Thu 27 Jul 2023 3:20 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 8
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 3 Aug 2023 11:19 AM Visits: 37
I've found a beautiful viewpoint near Fountainhill in Connemara on google maps from a 360 degrees photo but I have a question about this location.

- Is the photo really taken at this location? The photo seems to be taken quite high, I don't know if it fits this location.

- How can I hike to this location? I don't see any path on google maps. I do see a road leading up there a bit, but that seems to be private property with a notice sign. 

360 degrees photo: link

GPS location: https://goo.gl/maps/SjHUMHfjPopnZKam9
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 28 Jul 2023 12:30 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 18
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 11:53 PM Visits: 26.2K
Hi Theo,

It's lovely to see your interest in hiking in Connemara! ⛰️🥾

This photo or viewpoint is not known to us, but there are plenty of lovely hikes of different length and difficulty to be enjoyed in the Connemara National Park. One of my favourites is climbing Diamond Hill, which rewards you with views similar to the one in the photo you shared. Check out the National Park's official website for information and maps on hiking trails and more. The National Tourism Development Authority also shares some recommendation on available trails on their website and I found this page online with a few more hikes in the area.

I hope this helps! Are you currently planning a holiday on Ireland's west coast?

Best wishes,
Rebecca ☘️
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 28 Jul 2023 2:45 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)
Hi Rebecca,

Thank you for your reply! 

I've been to this region twice before and really loved it out there. I also went up to Diamond Hill and it was amazing! 

But I'm really interested in this specific location. Do you know if this location is public terrain, where people are allowed to hike?
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 28 Jul 2023 2:49 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
I see the link to the 360 degree photo is aimed at another direction. For me its about the composition towards the river and lake.
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 29 Jul 2023 3:59 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 18
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 11:53 PM Visits: 26.2K
Hi Theo,

It's great to hear you have already explored and enjoyed this area thoroughly! 💚

I'm afraid I don't think this is a recognised hiking trail. I'm sorry we can't help you further in your quest, but I hope you will enjoy other hikes and viewpoints in the area, should you plan to return some time. 😊

Best wishes,
Rebecca
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 29 Jul 2023 5:49 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Hi,
I was a bit confused, because I see a lot of pictures taken in that area, close to the 12 Bens, although I don't see any trails on the map. But I've found a map on this site: https://www.galwaytourism.ie/connemara/the-twelve-bens/

And it does seem the place I want to go to is part of a hike. Its the blue one:

https://imgur.com/InEjsp7

Apparently, the hill is called Knockpasheemore.

But to get to that starting point, you need to get past this sign:

https://imgur.com/vmy2nfh

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 31 Jul 2023 9:15 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 8 minutes ago Visits: 76.1K
Hi Theo,

I think you properly identified the hill (which faces the Gleninagh river and then Lough Inagh in the horizon! I found this trail from a collaborative hiking website that passes through Knockpasheemore.

Alternatively, you could get similar views from the Twelve Bens (from Bencorr and Derryclare).

Let us know if you end up finding the trail referenced somewhere or an alternative one :) 

Cheers,
Antoine
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 31 Jul 2023 1:55 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Thank you! So it is allowed to drive/walk up that road, passed the sign?
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 1 Aug 2023 10:16 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 8 minutes ago Visits: 76.1K
No problem, Theo! 

As you showed us, the sign from Fountain Hill coming from the R344 says private property. Therefore I would ask for permission to park before joining the trail.

I had a look at the trail you are looking for and it could be the Benbaun loop, but the start of the trail is unclear. Maybe you can contact the Ordnance Survey or Connemara National Park for further information? 

Hopefully more hiking enthusiasts will jump on this thread.

Groet,
Antoine