European ID to travel from Ireland to North Ireland

European ID to travel from Ireland to North Ireland

Author
Posted Tue 8 Aug 2023 3:01 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 10 Aug 2023 6:57 AM Visits: 15
Hi,

I'll be traveling to Dublin next week, we plan to visit Northern Ireland during our stay. On the ireland.com page about Brexit it states that you do not need a passport when traveling from Ireland to northern Ireland even after Brexit, is this still true?

We can't find any other confirmation than this sentence on the page so we're a bit afraid that we might face issues as the now ordered express passport might not arrive before we leave for Ireland.

Would be great if someone could answer (and the page could get updated with a bit more details on this case).

Thanks and have a great day,
Marcel

edit: got a message back from the German embassy in Dublin, apparently a passport is required for the border transition, I'd suggest updating this on the page so that people are aware of this.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 9 Aug 2023 1:29 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 21
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 6:36 AM Visits: 9.4K
Hello Marcel, 

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are well prepared for your trip next week and did a lot of research already!

The information, which you found on the website is correct, yes. Assuming that you are EU citizens, your national identity card is sufficient to travel throughout the island of Ireland (including Northern Ireland), as long as you are arriving and exiting the island via an airport or ferry port in the Republic of Ireland. In short that means if you fly in and out via Dublin your national identity card is all you need to travel the entire island. 

Only if you would be travelling direct to/from Northern Ireland or travelling on to Great Britain from Northern Ireland, you would need a passport. Please also bear in mind that this information is only valid if you are EU citizens. This information is also reconfirmed once more on the visas and passport page

Thank you also for your suggestion on the updates on the website. I will pass this on so that the page can be reviewed and a link or more information might be added for more clarity. 

By the way, is this your first time visiting the Island of Ireland? Which places besides Dublin are you planning to visit? 

Have a wonderful day, 
Sarah
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 9 Aug 2023 1:59 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 10 Aug 2023 6:57 AM Visits: 15
Thanks for the response,

do you maybe have any legal documents on this topic ? With the embassy saying that I'd def. need one I am bit worried here. (My passport might be arriving just one or two days to late for us to bring it to Ireland - that's why I want to make extra sure that I can still make it everywhere on our vacation :D)

We'll be staying 4 days in Dublin and then drive up to Belfast where we'll look at a bunch of castles and go hiking a few days (including the Gobbin's and Causeway Coast).

Best Regards,
Marcel