Christmas holiday questions

Christmas holiday questions

Author
Posted Sun 13 Aug 2023 1:31 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 14 Aug 2023 2:23 PM Visits: 262
My family of five, 3 grown children, are planning a Christmas holiday arriving in Dublin on the 22nd of December and leaving on the 28th.  We are trying to decide between finding an Airbnb to make our own meal for Christmas or staying in a hotel that would provide Christmas dinner?  I believe we plan to be in Galway on the actual Christmas holiday.  Are grocers typically open the day before Christmas to buy provisions if we chose to prepare our own Christmas meal?    Thank you.

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 13 Aug 2023 9:18 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Sat 27 Apr 2024 11:05 AM Visits: 623
Hi Kellie,

How nice that you have decided to spend Christmas here in Ireland! 🎄

The choice between the two options depends a lot on your needs and the availability of accommodations.
Being Christmas, I suggest you book as soon as possible, also to be able to find cheaper solutions.

If you decide to stay in a B&B and cook, don't worry as the grocery stores will be open and usually open around 6am and close at 6 or 7pm. It's hard to predict exact times that far in advance, but these are usually the opening times for supermarkets such as Tesco or Dunnes Stores on Christmas Eve.
I suggest you go shopping in the morning in any case! 🛒

On December 24th many restaurants in Galway will be closed from after about 5pm and open restaurants are often booked well in advance. So also in this case, if you want to dine in a restaurant, it's a good idea to book in advance.

The same thing happens on December 26th, being another holiday day.

If you want some more details about the accommodations, take a look at this page, where you can also search for accommodations from our search engine. 🏡

I hope you find this information useful.

Have a great day! 😄
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 14 Aug 2023 3:02 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 14 Aug 2023 2:23 PM Visits: 262
Thank you so much for the information.  I didn’t want to just assume things would be open. 
Have a great day!