Trad music sessions

Trad music sessions

Author
Posted Mon 4 Sep 2023 2:31 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 7 Sep 2023 4:38 PM Visits: 5
Looking for trad music sessions where a person could join in with a mandolin in Northern Ireland. Planning on a visit in May 2024
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 5 Sep 2023 2:24 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (370 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (370 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (370 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (370 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (370 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (370 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (370 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (370 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (370 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Thu 18 Jul 2024 3:39 PM Visits: 698
Hi Barbara,

It's great to hear that you are planning a trip to Ireland next year and are interested in joining in with the craic. I would say that local pubs are your best bet if you are looking for someplace to join in a trad music session.

Many local pubs on the island have informal trad music sessions where anyone is welcome to participate in. No doubt people will love to hear you play the mandolin. 

For example, the Sunflower Pub in Belfast has one evening a week of open mic (on Monday nights), which you might be interested in checking out. Another great spot in Belfast for trad music is Fibber Magees

Some of our other Community members may also be able to offer their suggestions on places in Northern Ireland where you can join in a trad music session.

Regards,
Eoin
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 6 Sep 2023 9:03 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (377 reputation)Community Expert (377 reputation)Community Expert (377 reputation)Community Expert (377 reputation)Community Expert (377 reputation)Community Expert (377 reputation)Community Expert (377 reputation)Community Expert (377 reputation)Community Expert (377 reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 9:14 PM Visits: 3.1K
Hi Barbara, 

Following on from Eoin's recommendations. If you are visiting Derry, Sandinos on Water Street have trad sessions on Sundays that you can join in on. The Argyle Bar in Derry also have student trad sessions on Sunday nights that anyone can join in on, though you may have to call ahead to see if they have resumed yet. 

I hope this helps! 

Cathaoir

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 7 Sep 2023 4:08 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 10 May 2024 11:23 AM Visits: 10.1K
Hey Barbara,

You'll love the music scene here, and I'm sure you will have plenty of occasion to get the mandolin out.

Eoin and Cathaoir shared some amazing places already, but I thought I would jump in to add a couple - my favorites for trad and open sessions in Belfast.

First, you have Maddens - a gem in the city center. They have live music daily in the evening and often welcome people to join in - particularly, the upstairs session on Saturday night. This place is THE PLACE for all trad musicians in Belfast.

Not too far from Maddens you have Kelly's cellar, which has some trad sessions on Tuesday night. It's probably the one you could "easily" join in. They also have great ones on early Saturdays but those might be harder to join due to the place being busy over the weekend.

What's THE tune you hope to play while over in May?

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 7 Sep 2023 4:42 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 7 Sep 2023 4:38 PM Visits: 5
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 12 Mar 2024 11:31 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 12
Group: Community Member Last Active: Yesterday @ 1:46 PM Visits: 309
Having pubs with open mic and stage is sure to entice players of instruments like mandolin is sure to spark joy anyone.