Cain and Maylia with other spellings

Cain and Maylia with other spellings

Author
Posted Tue 19 Sep 2023 8:05 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 20 Sep 2023 7:34 PM Visits: 11
Hello, just how many Maylias and Cains are there? AND they’re all Patrick, Mary and Joseph’s Arrrgggghhhhhhhh.

I THINK… my great grandmother was Rose Cain born around 1863 in Belmullet, Co Mayo. Rose had siblings born in Gateshead, England. Ann? James, Bridget and Ellen.
Their parents were John and Ellen Cain presumably married in Ireland. 

I have found a family in the 1851 England census all dates are circa/around
William Cain b. 1817 in Ireland
Abby Cain b.1819 in Ireland
John Cain b. 1841 in Ireland
Mary Cain b. 1843 in Ireland
Samuel Cain b. 1843 in Ireland
Elizabeth Cain b. 1849 in Newcastle upon Tyne
also a William b. 1845 in Ireland
There was a visitor, William Cain age 60. (Presumably father/grandfather)
They were all living at 15 Dixon building, Westgate, Northumberland. (Newcastle upon Tyne)

Somewhere down the line my g grandmother Rose married Patrick Maylia in England but his ancestry is also Ireland. I’m sure I’ve been researching this branch for the last 100 years but I know I can’t have as I’m only in my 50’s. Please if anyone can help it would be very much appreciated. I’ve suddenly got grey hair hundreds of them HA HA

Claire. Desperately seeking answers. Thanks in advance

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 20 Sep 2023 9:51 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Claire,

It's lovely to hear that you have been researching your family history for quite a while so it seems! 😉

As you are probably aware, records before 1864 would be parish/church records so having a location is very important.

If your great grandmother was born in Belmullet, County Mayo, the National Library of Ireland may have the records online. John Grenham has a website on helpful information and also a surname finding page. Cain has several locations but Maylia isn't one that appears.

There is a record on the Irish Genealogy website for a Rose Kane, born 1st April 1864 to a William and Frances but this is in Mountmellick, County Laois.

What information do you have that leads you to believe Rose Cain was born in Belmullet?

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 20 Sep 2023 7:27 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)
Hi Martin, 
Thanks for the quick reply.  Rose Cain married Patrick Maylia. The 1881 England census shows her living at Shipcote Cottage in Gateshead aged 18 years old and occupation as a factory girl. This census shows her, her father John and mother Ellen all born in Ireland. The younger siblings were all born in Gateshead. I cannot find them on the 1871 census in England so assumed they arrived before 1871. The 1911 census with the whole family shows Belmullet, Ireland.
Claire.
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 20 Sep 2023 7:36 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Hi Martin,
Rose went on to marry Patrick Maylia born in Northumberland. Patrick's father Michael has Ireland Mayo as birth place as does Catherine his wife. 
So I need to search, research and beg for help for any hints and tips. Haha.
Claire.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 25 Sep 2023 9:25 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Claire,

Thanks for getting back to us!

It would seem that County Mayo is the place they would most likely be from as they return there eventually.

There are two heritage and family research centres in County Mayo, North Mayo Heritage Centre and South Mayo Family Centre who may be able to help. In addition, Mayo County Library has a genealogy section to try.

AskaboutIreland has a record of John Cain in Aghagower parish, County Mayo, this may give you another place to look.

I suspect that you will need to engage a professional genealogist or subscribe to some of the online pages to be able to track down specific records.

Hopefully, more information can be found and your search continues!