Senior discounts in and around Dublin

Senior discounts in and around Dublin

Author
Posted Wed 27 Sep 2023 10:38 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 8
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Sep 2023 10:18 PM Visits: 71
I will be taking a group of about 20 seniors, aged 60 to Dublin for a language course in April 2024.   Although I have been there before with student groups, my traveling group will be different this time.  I see that many museums and cultural places have a senior discount.  Is it worth getting the HERITAGE card?  Would there be some places that you could suggest that are senior friendly?  I would appreciate some places with discounts.  If anyone knows of a seniors center that would want to meet some really active and interesting German seniors, please let me know.
Barbara in Erfurt

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 29 Sep 2023 8:07 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 6 hours ago Visits: 76.1K
Hi Barbara,

That sounds like an exciting trip you have planned for next spring! I hope your seniors group will enjoy Dublin as much as your students did. 

First of all, The Heritage Card can be a good investment if you plan on visiting multiple museums and heritage sites. You'll find a full list of included attractions here. In Dublin, you'll get entrance to Dublin Castle and Kilmainham Gaol with it (note that you will still need to book tickets in advance for the latter, as the attraction is quite popular). You can also visit Newgrange (reservations needed) as well as the Glendalough Visitor Centre, which aren't far from Dublin. For 30 eur/ heritage card (Senior price), I think it's worth it if you do a few attractions.

Besides the Heritage Ireland attractions, some others popular attractions that offer senior discounts in Dublin include the Guinness Storehouse or Trinity College 

In terms of senior-friendly attractions, Dublin has many options. The National Gallery of Ireland is known for its art collection, and it's easily accessible (even though your group seems active enough). St. Patrick's Cathedral is another iconic landmark with beautiful grounds, perfect for a relaxing visit. The Chester Beatty Library (free entrance) is also senior-friendly, offering exhibitions, guided tours, and a lovely rooftop garden to enjoy.

As for connecting with local seniors and community centers, I would recommend reaching out to the Dublin City Council or senior activity centers in the area. They might be able to provide you with contacts or suggestions for organizations.

Let us know how the planning goes and I hope you and your group have an amazing time in Dublin! 

Cheers,
Antoine