Adare Cheese Mystery- Please Help!

Adare Cheese Mystery- Please Help!

Author
Posted Tue 31 Oct 2023 3:44 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 31 Oct 2023 3:40 PM Visits: 2
Hi! 
I was in Ireland in the early 90s, and one of the places we visited was Adare County. I went to a cheese shop and purchased two cheese. It was called Adare Cheese (I think).. The base of the cheese had a semi soft consistency. One had peppercorns in it, the other had diced ham. It was a delicious cheese and I've been dreaming about it ever since. Can someone tell me the name of the cheese , and if it's still being made? I thank you all for any information you can give me.
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 1 Nov 2023 10:32 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Fri 17 May 2024 2:35 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Charlotte,

Thanks for taking the time to ask your question here, it certainly sounds like a wonderful memory from your time with us! 🧀

Adare, County Limerick is a lovely place to visit and it sounds like it left its mark on you. There isn't a cheese shop still in the village, many things have changed we would imagine since your visit in the 1990's.

What else can you remember from your time with us in and around Adare?
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 10 Nov 2023 1:23 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Fri 10 May 2024 2:39 PM Visits: 22.1K
Hi Charlotte,
I have been doing some research and have also been in touch with some locals of the Adare village, who have been living there for all their lives and unfortunately no one is aware of any cheese shop in the village.
They think, the cheese shop you are referring to, could possibly be the Old Irish Creamery Cheese, based in Effin Co. Limerick - https://oldirishcreamery.com/index1.html. They have a wide range of cheeses available.

Fingers crossed, this will help. Let us know, if you are able to find the cheese/ company you are looking for.