Thompsons and McPhersons from Lisnalea, Mount Norris and Newry areas

Thompsons and McPhersons from Lisnalea, Mount Norris and Newry areas

Author
Posted Wed 22 Nov 2023 7:29 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 7:00 AM Visits: 5
I am from Australia and I am visiting Ireland in 2024.  I would dearly love to meet up with any of my mother's relations still in the area.  My mother was Florence Thompson, daughter of Annie Elizabeth McPherson and Archibald Thompson.  She had brothers Irwin and David and sisters Maureen and Freda.  They came to Australia around 1928.  I think her Uncle Harold McPherson stayed in the area and I know they had a friend Lilian Cosgrove who was in the area too.  They children went to Mt Norris school.  If anyone knows of anyone that could be related I would love to meet up.  Thanks for trying I know it's a big ask.
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 22 Nov 2023 10:46 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Kathryn,

It's wonderful to hear that you will be over with us next year and looking to meet up with any relatives here.

We were having a good look at the maps and thought maybe it is Lisnalee, Mountnorris, and Newry you would be looking for as Lisnalea is in County Cavan?

The National Archives of Ireland 1911 census has Uncle Harold as 5 years old in Lisnalee as well as your granny Annie as 13. The area is very rural so the number of houses is small and if there are any relatives still in the area a quick visit will find them for sure!

There is a post office and pub in Mountnorris, always great places to find information on local residents. There is also the Presbyterian Church which seems to be the closest and just along the road from the Primary school.

Hopefully, a visit to the area will be fruitful in finding any living family.