Morrissey with few details

Morrissey with few details

Author
Posted Thu 28 Dec 2023 3:57 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Dec 2023 3:57 PM Visits: 200
I have been tracing my family tree off and on for decades. The Morrissey side has been the most difficult as I have very few details. My GG Grandfather was John Morrissey, born in Ireland in 1814 and died in St. John New Brunswick in 1894. He was married to Catherine Baxter. I have no info on her other than her name in the family Bible and a couple Canadian census records. My Great Grandfather was James Jeremiah and he immigrated to the US from Canada. John's three line obituary only said he was from Cork, but I don't know if that's where he was born or just the port he left Ireland from. Hoping to visit Ireland next year!
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 29 Dec 2023 1:11 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Thu 25 Apr 2024 1:03 PM Visits: 661
Hi Judy,

It's great to hear that you are tracing your Irish roots and are interested in visiting Ireland next year.

Before 1864 records were kept in the form of church and parish records so this may be a place to look. The National Library of Ireland have a website where you can start to look for any records they have. This would be a long process if you do not know which county to start to look in.

There is also the Irish Genealogy website that has some information on church records and how to search online.

Given that you believe your ancestor John was born in County Cork, this Family History and Genealogy page may also be of help to you.

Are you hoping to visit County Cork when you visit Ireland next year?

Regards,
Eoin