Looking for information on my great grandparents

Looking for information on my great grandparents

Author
Posted Sat 30 Dec 2023 12:23 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 5
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 30 Dec 2023 12:23 AM Visits: 4
I have been trying to trace my great grandparents and what I was told is that my great grandmother died on a ship coming from Ireland and was buried at sea giving birth to my grandma Alice Bruin although US records say Alice was born in Connecticut 1-17-1897 .

My great great grandparents names were John Bruen (Bruin) and it shows he was married to Maryann Bodie by Connecticut vital records, then on another site it shows he was married to Elizabeth Clark. But the years are all the same. So I'm thinking he was remarried in the US.
I'm trying to find out more information about John and my grandmother which passed away on the ship. Its either Elizabeth Clark or Maryann Bodie.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 31 Dec 2023 11:34 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Sat 9 Mar 2024 4:14 PM Visits: 1.4K
Hi Brian,

As you embark on this heartfelt journey to uncover the stories of your great grandparents, it's truly inspiring to see your dedication to connecting with your past. The path of discovering one's ancestry is often filled with unexpected twists and heartwarming revelations, and it's clear that you're on such a path. 😊

The Genealogy Tools on Ireland.com offer a valuable starting point in your quest. These tools are specially designed to help those tracing their Irish roots, providing a wealth of information that could be key in understanding your great grandmother's journey and the life stories of John Bruen and his spouses.

RootsIreland is another resource that might bring you closer to your family’s past, offering access to a wide range of Irish records. Here, you may find pivotal details about your ancestors, helping to piece together the puzzle of your heritage.

Additionally, The Ships List could shed light on the details of your great grandmother's voyage, providing context to her journey and possibly her final days at sea.

Each of these resources is like a beacon, guiding you through the mists of time to uncover the stories of your ancestors. Your search is not just a quest for knowledge, but a beautiful journey of connecting with your past and preserving the legacy of your family for future generations.

Each discovery, no matter how small, is a precious piece of your family's rich and enduring tapestry. Good luck on this wonderful journey of exploration and discovery. May it bring you closer to your roots and fill your heart with the warmth of knowing where you come from. 

All the best! ✨
Arvind
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 2 Jan 2024 11:56 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Brian

I can think of 2 sources that may be relevant: 

1. Indexes (not online) that are held in the General Register Office, Convent Road, Roscommon will be of interest, namely; births at sea of children, one of whose parents was born in Ireland after I January 1864; and deaths at sea of persons born in Ireland after 1 January 1864. These may identify death of your great-grandmother and perhaps birth of Alice.

2. Official passenger lists from all Irish and British Ports to North America exist from 1890 through to 1921 and they are held in the Board of Trade records (reference BT27) in the National Archives, Kew, London (www.nationalarchives.gov.uk). Now digitised and indexed (at www.ancestry.com and www.findmypast.com) you could examine this database for the passenger manifest which names John Bruen and his wife as it would appear they sailed for North America in 1896/97.