Planning a stay in Ireland to write my novel

Planning a stay in Ireland to write my novel

Author
Posted Sat 30 Dec 2023 6:30 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 1 Jan 2024 4:12 PM Visits: 4
Dear All,

Firstly, I would like to wish everyone a Happy NewYear 2024.

I am a Portuguese citizen who usually spends the month of July in England teaching. I otherwise live in Sicily. But as the summer months are too hot, I am looking for a relatively quiet place to stay for some 5 to 6 weeks before I make my way back south.

Since I live on a relatively tight budget, I am not looking for anything fancy but neither too remote from civilisation either. A writer's mindset means he or she needs to listen to their own narrative voice and not let it be drowned by others. The flipside though is too much social distance is also a killer, especially in my genre which requires listening to others as a source of inspiration. So, having said this, I am open to any suggestions and guidance in the hope I can find that piece of Ireland that can bring out the best in my work.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Warm regards,
Daniel
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 1 Jan 2024 2:31 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 7 hours ago Visits: 76.1K
Hi Daniel,

Happy New Year!

It's so lovely that you want to write your next novel on the Emerald Isle. I hope it will spark your creativity. 

Maybe you could have a look at places that inspired Irish writers and poets? For example, Sligo is known for its link with Irish poet W.B. Yeats, while James Joyce and Dublin go hand in hand. 

If you are looking for a place that is relatively affordable and not too remote, I would look for a mid-sized city. Perhaps Westport in County Mayo, Sligo town,  Ennis in County Clare, Limerick or even Derry-Londonderry. The possibilities are endless. You would also have access to the neighboring coastline for further inspiration.

I hope this helps, let us know if you have further questions,

Antoine
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 1 Jan 2024 4:14 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 1 Jan 2024 4:12 PM Visits: 4
Dear Antoine,

Thank you so much for your prompt and very informative reply.
I will definitely looking to all that you sent soon.

Warm regards,
Daniel