A retired author with citizenship and looking for a village/town to settle in in 2024

A retired author with citizenship and looking for a village/town to...

Author
Posted Fri 5 Jan 2024 12:07 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 9 Jan 2024 10:20 PM Visits: 10
Hello,
I have been to Ireland a dozen times-- yet still feel like I know so little! I visited three times in 2023 to get a feel for as many different places as possible -- from Sligo to Allihies, from the Coaghaun cliffs in Achill to the fun and touristy Westport. I just retired, am an author, a widow, and am very social. 

2024, my Spring trip goal: 1 month, find the village/town where I can rent for a month and explore the beauty and write, yet try to find a social life of some sort -- and pub life is fine! 

Where would I be welcome? Do I split it between two places, like Clonakilty (descendants I need to find) and Kenmare (I spent 8 days in Beara on a September trip and loved it, just too remote, I think someone called me a 'blow-in' which I thought was hilarious.)

Having lived in New York for 28 years, I've had enough of cities. 

Any advice? Thank you in advance. Not an easy question. 
Alfred

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 5 Jan 2024 1:17 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (360 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 1 hour ago Visits: 669
Hi Alfred,

It's wonderful to hear that you are planning to spend more spend in Ireland this year. The idea of exploring, writing, and learning more about your Irish roots is a great idea.

You would be welcome anywhere in Ireland, of course. I do like your idea of dividing your time between two places, such as Clonakilty and Kenmare, which are relatively close to one another.

If you would like some more suggestions, this page on our website is very handy. All of these places have a plenty of social life and some great pubs, too!

While you are already an experienced traveller to Ireland, you might still find our Ultimate Ireland Guide useful. It's full of practical advice for those planning to visit Ireland.

Regards,
Eoin