Lawlor / Lawler family in Clonmel, Tipperary

Lawlor / Lawler family in Clonmel, Tipperary

Author
Posted Fri 19 Jan 2024 11:22 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 21 Jan 2024 9:43 AM Visits: 13
Hi,

I'm helping a friend trace her family. It seems that her 2x great grandfather was shipped to Australia as a convict.  I have found the below details, but can find no further records.  I joined rootsireland.ie and found the baptism on there, but that's it. Can anyone please help?

Joseph Paul Lawlor (known as Paul) - born circa. March 1811 Clonmel, Tipperary, Ireland, baptised at St Mary's on 12 March 1811 as Paulum.
Father Thomas Lawlor (Lawler) - mother Elaine Phelan or Elena Bular... hard to decipher.  I suspect they were born 1780-1790, based on Paul's date of birth.
Paul may have had a brother named Michael - mentioned in the convict records.

**Updated**
His parents my have been Thomas Lawler and Maria / Mary Mullins, being baptised in 1818 (born 1815, same place)... possible siblings: Patrick, John, Mary / Maria and Catherine. All baptised at St Mary's.  The baptism records are the only ones I can find or confirm - no marriage, census, death.

Thank you, Georgie

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 20 Jan 2024 7:28 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 18
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 10:48 PM Visits: 25.8K
Hi Georgie,

Well done to you and your friend for getting this far on her research journey! 📚

Before 1864, records were kept in the form of church and parish records. Those which have survived over the years have been sorted into county-based genealogical centres. You can browse the church records online and additionally reach out to the South Tipperary Genealogy Centre. Should you encounter difficulties in your search, you could also get in touch with the advisory services provided by the National Archives and the National Library of Ireland.

I hope this helps! Wishing you best of luck with your further research! 💚

Rebecca
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 20 Jan 2024 10:44 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 21 Jan 2024 9:43 AM Visits: 13
Hi Rebecca,

Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction.  I shall have a look.

Georgie