Martin Walsh and Catherine Dunphy, Parents of James Walsh/Welsh 1820-1905

Martin Walsh and Catherine Dunphy, Parents of James Walsh/Welsh...

Author
Posted Wed 24 Jan 2024 6:28 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 24 Jan 2024 6:33 PM Visits: 743
James Walsh/Welsh 1820-1905 was my GG Grandfather. He always indicated he was born in Ireland, and specifically "Kilkenny" which many of us believe is County Kilkenny. James settled in Bass River, Weldford (Parish), Kent County, New Brunswick, Canada. He married Margaret Roach 1834-1893 on June 2, 1852, at Richibucto, Parish of St Antoine, Kent County, New Brunswick.

Margaret was born at Galloway, New Brunswick. According to the registration of marriage, James' parents were "Martin Walsh and Catherine Dunphy", neither were recorded as being deceased in 1852.

Margaret's parents were William Roach 1801-1839,and Mary Mooney 1802-1886. William was from Wexford, and Mary was from Wexford, County Wexford, Ireland, both died in New Brunswick, Canada. (I will make a separate post for this couple as Mary Mooney Roach is a brick wall.)

James and Margaret (Roach) Walsh/Welsh's daughter, Annie (Walsh/Welsh) Clark 1858-1923 married David Wark Clark 1853-1944 on 19 Dec 1877 at Moncton, Westmorland County, New Brunswick. Their son, Frederick (Fred) Ellingham Clark(e) 1878-1960 was my paternal grandfather (he added an "e" to our surname). Annie raised their daughters RomanCatholic and David raised their sons Protestant. David's father, Robert Clark,was born in Mouswald, Scotland.

There are a number of Walsh/Welsh families on the Canada Census living in Kent County, New Brunswick when my Great Great and Great Grandparents lived there. I have no idea, and no way to prove, that they had a common ancestor -- unless I can get more information on James and his parentage, or links through DNA.

There are some trees that indicate Martin Walsh died in Quebec, Canada. The only wedding I found for a Martin Walsh and Catherine Dunphy occurred in 1838 when James would have been 18. 

I have family trees on Family Search, Ancestry, Find My Past, and WikiTree.
My Gedmatch kits are GL8335665 (23andMe) and XH6797793 (Ancestry).
Ethel Clarke
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 25 Jan 2024 10:46 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (226 reputation)Community Expert (226 reputation)Community Expert (226 reputation)Community Expert (226 reputation)Community Expert (226 reputation)Community Expert (226 reputation)Community Expert (226 reputation)Community Expert (226 reputation)Community Expert (226 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 13
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 3:04 PM Visits: 3K
Hi Ethel,

First of all, well done on this fantastic research so far. 

To try and find further research on James Walsh/Welsh, Roots Ireland has the parish records of Co. Kilkenny for this period which may be fruitful. You can also search by first name, surname, and year. 

Let me know if you have any success. 

Cathaoir