Traveling in May

Traveling in May

Author
Posted Thu 1 Feb 2024 12:07 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 19 Apr 2024 11:35 PM Visits: 59
Hi guys!
Great info
I’m going to get tickets to the Gaol ahead of time
Sounds interesting and then off to visit Guinness
Is a Leap Visitor Card worth getting?
And if so how do I know which bus to hop on to?
Christina
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 2 Feb 2024 11:57 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Sat 9 Mar 2024 4:14 PM Visits: 1.4K
Hi Christina,

It's fantastic to see your Dublin adventure taking shape! ☘️ Booking your Kilmainham Gaol Museum tickets in advance is a smart move. They can be purchased online up to 28 days in advance. Just a heads-up, they're closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, so you'll want to schedule your visit around those days. 

A visit to the Guinness Storehouse is guaranteed to be an absolute treat. Get ready for laughs, learning, and a love affair with Ireland's favorite brew. It's not just a tour; it's the golden ticket to the heart of Irish culture.

As for the Leap Visitor Card, absolutely, it's a gem for travelers. This card offers unlimited travel for 1, 3, or 7 days on Dublin Bus, Luas, DART, and some other services, making it super convenient and cost-effective for getting around. It is also valid for airport transfers on the regular Dublin Bus routes. For choosing your bus, the Transport for Ireland website or their handy app will be your best friends. They offer real-time schedules and routes, making it a breeze to navigate the city. 🚌

If you have any more exciting updates or questions as you get closer to your trip, feel free to share. The countdown to your unforgettable Dublin experience is officially on! 🎉

Happy planning,
Arvind

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 2 Feb 2024 1:21 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)
Hi Arvind, 
Thank you very much for answering my questions. I really cannot wait to visit. All of my days will have something planned. Very much looking forward to it. I have always wanted to go to Ireland. I am not Irish. As we get older we say we are going to do this and that and never happens. I had to push myself to do this. We will only once. Some people pass on before they get to do what they wanted to do or are financially restrained. Well I needed a push. I am very nervous and anxious about traveling solo. I am an overall friendly and positive person who will be able to meet people so I am not that worried in that aspect. Just getting around will be my problem although I am an avid walker so that is a plus. Thank you all for giving me great advice. Cannot wait to sit at a pub, try my first beer and watch the world go around. Look at the scenery.
Christina
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 5 Feb 2024 3:06 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 5:37 PM Visits: 76.2K
We are all so excited for your trip to start, Christina! I'm glad you finally took the leap of faith and booked your Ireland trip and hope it will be memorable. Travelling solo will be totally fine, as the Irish have the reputation to be very hospitable.

You know where to find us if you still have questions as your trip gets closer. 😊 Maybe this handy checklist will help in the meantime

Talk soon,
Antoine
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 5 Feb 2024 11:57 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Hi Antoine
the handy checklist is very helpful. Thank you. Just waiting as it gets closer to book a few more tours and trains. 
Thank you for all the info. Can't wait
Christina 
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 7 Feb 2024 11:19 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Hi Antoine, Martin, Arvind and Rebecca
Here in the US we carry our drivers license with us as a form of ID to buy alcohol, go out to eat etc. In Ireland do you have to carry your passports around? Also is it a good idea to have pounds and euro handy to tip drivers, wait staff etc? Or basically just carry credit cards. 
I am going on a few tours in Dublin and Belfast and I certainly do not want to insult anyone. 
Thanks again. 
Christina W
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 8 Feb 2024 9:45 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 8:32 AM Visits: 13.3K
Most of the time, you wont be asked for ID in any place you go unless you look under 21 and then you may well be asked.

If you are driving yourself, then you would need to carry your drivers license as this is indeed a requirement for the Garda and Police. As you will be crossing into Northern Ireland you will also need your passport with you, although there are no physical border controls and no Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) at this time. A form of ID for a non EU or Irish citizen is required, not necessarily a passport though, and a photocopy of it should suffice.

With regards to money and carrying some with you or just using your credit cards, both is always the best. Taxis can accept cards but it is sometimes easier just to have the cash so you can include a tip if you like. You can always round up a bill in a restaurant before paying by card. Keep in mind that your bank will charge you for each transaction and sometimes there is a minimum spend in a shop, just in case you fancy an ice-cream! 🍦

Hopefully, this helps and you get to enjoy the delightful island of Ireland! 🙂

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 14 Feb 2024 2:03 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Hi Martin Antoine Rebecca Arvind
Question regarding Aircoach
My flight arrives around 8:30 am
I booked the Aircoach at 9:30 am with an hr window from the airport to Dublin center
Is this enough time? I forgot about customs
Aircoach gave me an hour leeway for an hour extra charge. Should I rethink this time?
Also what should I do first before I collapse to the hotel as checkin isn’t until 2. What should I see first? I’m going to be jet lagged but super excited.
Thanks
Christina
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 14 Feb 2024 12:56 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (308 reputation)Community Expert (308 reputation)Community Expert (308 reputation)Community Expert (308 reputation)Community Expert (308 reputation)Community Expert (308 reputation)Community Expert (308 reputation)Community Expert (308 reputation)Community Expert (308 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Sun 12 May 2024 12:24 PM Visits: 3.1K
Hi Christina, 

The duration of customs processing upon arrival at Dublin Airport from the United States is typically around 30-45 minutes including baggage claim. Some factors can affect this including the volume of incoming flights, the time of day, and any specific circumstances or events that may be affecting travel and customs processing depending on the efficiency of the customs process on that particular day. It's advisable to plan for some extra time to accommodate potential delays and queues at the customs checkpoint, though on average it will not take over 1 hour. 

In terms of stuff to do before check-in, have a look at our page on Dublin for some ideas. 

Cathaoir 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 1 Mar 2024 11:30 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
HI guys,
Me again. I did book my hotel in Dublin. For a solo traveler, would a B & B be better for me or stay where I originally booked? Also I did order a Visitor Leap Card. great idea. thanks you!
Trip is getting closer. 
Thank you 
Christina W