Traveling in May

Traveling in May

Author
Posted Thu 25 Jan 2024 12:02 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 19 Apr 2024 11:35 PM Visits: 59
Hi there
I am traveling to Dublin first and and staying for a few days to experience Dublin then off to Belfast. I would like to find the better hotels to stay at. Ideas? Also is it relatively easy to find tour buses to take day trips? Which is the best, easier and more comfortable way for me to get to Belfast center from Dublin center? 
I am also looking at the Game of Thrones tour but I was wondering which one is the best one. thank you, CW
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 26 Jan 2024 6:41 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 18
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 11:53 PM Visits: 26.2K
Hi Christina,

It sounds like you're planning an exciting and eventful holiday! 🤩

I can recommend checking out this article that introduces you to some top hotels in Dublin and Belfast amongst other locations. If you'd like to compare more options, you could try this accommodation finder for hotels in Dublin and Belfast - I've set the filters in the middle of the page to show specific results. You are welcome to adjust these filters to your preference and for example add another filter for the accommodation rating of your choice. Perhaps you might also be interested in these current offers, e.g. for accommodation and activities.

There are plenty of day tour operators to choose from. Especially in Dublin, you will find several shops selling day tours to our most beloved locations around the island. While it is possible that seats may be available when you book after you've arrived, you could also check out some tour companies in advance if you preferred to ensure availability. There are some companies listed on our website as well as Dublin's tourism information website. In Belfast, you could stop by the Visitor Information Centre or check out these coach tour operators (select the tag "Bus And Coach Tours"). This article (under "Touring Game of Thrones® territory") also lists some suggestions for a Game of Thrones tour.

You have two options for your journey to Belfast which I believe are equally comfortable and convenient - it all depends on your preferred method of transport and perhaps the distance to your hotels. The train journey from Dublin Connolly Station to Belfast Lanyon Place takes ca. 2 hours 15 minutes and can be booked on the Irish Rail website. If you'd like to travel by coach, you could choose between the services provided by Translink, Aircoach and Dublin Express (Dublin City Centre or Busaras Bus Station to Belfast Glengall Street or Europa Buscentre). The bus journey takes between 2 hours 20 minutes an 2 hours 50 minutes.

I hope this helps! 😊 Do you have some ideas of things you'd like to do in the cities, and places you'd love to see on day trips?

Best wishes,
Rebecca ☘️
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 26 Jan 2024 8:23 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)Gaining Respect (189 reputation)
Hi  Rebecca, 
thank you for all the info. There is alot to go through!!. I made plans for a few day trips. One the Cliffs of Mohr , Galway.
One a walking tour around Dublin. 
What I would like to visit is Guinness Storehouse , Temple bar, Trinity College Book of Kells, Dublin castle, St Patricks cathedral, St Stevens Green, and National Museum of Ireland. 
That is just a few things. I know the Cliffs tour is an all day thing. Will not be back til 8pm. That being said I wanted to find a hotel in your opinion ( I have your link to look over) that I can walk around at night by myself and be safe. I am super excited to go and learn about Ireland. I did not want to walk with suitcases to pick up drop off areas. I am thinking about the train because I can see the countryside better than on a bus? 
In Belfast i want to see the Titanic museum, GIant's Causeway, Crumlin Road Gaol, Belfast city hall and GOT tour. 
So not alot!! haha. 
My plan was to take a taxi to the hotel from Dublin airport. Walk around Dublin. Spend 3 nights, 4 days. Then take a train or bus to Belfast center. 
Trains i noticed have toilets and buses do not. 
Any input other than what you sent me is great
Thanks 
Christina
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 29 Jan 2024 10:08 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 10:23 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Christina,

Thanks for getting back to us with some more information on your itinerary plans!

There certainly is plenty to see and do in Dublin and you have picked some excellent attractions. Booking online is the best idea to make sure you get to visit when you wish and the best prices too. Hotels on the south side of the Liffey would probably suit you best based on the places you wish to see and using the trains, although any a long the river would be fine. 

There are day tours from Dublin to the Cliffs of Moher, operators such as Paddywagon Tours, WildRover Tours, and Finn McCools Tours all have day trips to here and other locations.

Most of our roads are rural and pass through open countryside ,so either train or bus will take you about the same time, trains do have toilets but it is only a couple of hours journey.

In Belfast, the City sightseeing bus is a lovely way to get around the attractions and they also have a service out to the Giant's Causeway and also one that includes the Game of Thrones.

Hopefully, this helps and you are able to finalize your itinerary for your time with us.

Regards,
Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 29 Jan 2024 12:02 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
HI Martin
Thank you for getting back to me as well. I did book a hotel near the college and bus areas. I looked on the map and its south of the bridges and river. I did book a couple of day trip while I am in Dublin. Cliffs and Galway is one. I booked a walking tour as well. I did book a taxi tour in Belfast. The city sight seeing tour is the one I book for Giant's Causeway. I am excited to explore Ireland. I agree with you I think I would like to purchase tickets in advance for most things as I don't know my way around. 
Now my next question is what is the difference between Dublin Express bus and Aircoach? I want to be sure I get to my hotel from airport correctly. Also your opinion for an outsider on taking the train vs the bus to Belfast. 
Thanks again
Christina
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 30 Jan 2024 10:21 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Hi Christina,

It sounds like your itinerary is coming together nicely!

With regards to the travel from the airport to the city, the difference between the two services, Dublin Express and Air Coach would be the stops that they have on the way to the city centre and the city itself. Both have online booking and the cost is the same or very similar.

At Dublin Airport they depart from different zones of the bus parking plan, so Terminal 1 is Dublin Express and Aircoach, Terminal 2 is Dublin Express.

Train or bus travel is really a personal preference. On the train you can get up, walk around and use the toilet. On the bus, your luggage is stowed away under the seats so no looking after it while travelling. Buses arrive in Belfast by the Europa Hotel and the trains terminate at Lanyan Place, so check which is closest to your hotel while in the city. Train is slightly quicker in the journey time, bus is slightly cheaper!

If you are looking to return to Dublin Airport directly from Belfast, then the bus is the best way as the train goes into the city not directly to the airport.

Hopefully, this helps and you can rest easy knowing you are all sorted out for your time with us.

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 30 Jan 2024 11:45 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Hi Martin
yes this helps me out alot. I appreciate all the help. 
Chris W
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 1 Feb 2024 1:40 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Hey Rebecca and Martin
Which is better? Which Gaol is worth seeing. Crumblin or kilmainham?
Also which bar/pub in Dublin is better for solo travelers to meet locals?

Chris W
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 1 Feb 2024 8:19 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 10:59 AM Visits: 76.1K
Hi Christina!
Sounds like you are quite invested in making this Dublin trip memorable. 😊

Both are great, but I would try to see Kilmainham Gaol as the prison tour can be quite moving and focused on Ireland's history. There are only a selected guided tours per day, which means you need to get tickets ahead of time.

As for the pubs to meet solo travelers, I would say all of them - Temple Bar is a popular area of course, but whomever you sit next to at the bar could end up striking a conversation. I would in particular suggest trad pubs, as the traditional music sessions are likely to attract other travelers and locals alike (The Cobblestone, The Celt and Johnnie Fox's to name a few)

Take care and let us know how your plans go! 
Antoine
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 1 Feb 2024 9:47 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Island of Ireland
Hi Christina,

Happy St Brigid's Day!

I am glad that the information has been useful to you, there is always a lot to plan when taking any trip abroad.

As Antoine mentioned, with more days in Dublin than Belfast, Kilmainham Gaol would be a great choice. It needs to be booked online as it's popularity exceeds the amount of people allowed to tour at any one time.

The Trad pubs is a great suggestion, there are so many bars to choose from, walk into one, if it's not to your liking go to another! 😉

We are getting as excited as you are now, can't wait to hear all about it.

Martin