Ireland Itinerary and Questions

Ireland Itinerary and Questions

Author
Posted Sat 27 Jan 2024 8:26 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 28 Jan 2024 12:16 PM Visits: 6
Hi- My wife and I will have a car and can’t wait to explore Ireland! Just a few questions for any Irish travel experts: 
  1. Can you recommend a nice place to stay overnight in Cork? (We would love to stay in a castle if possible).
  2. We will leave Cork early on April 1st to drive the Ring of Kerry. I just realized April 1st falls on Easter Monday, a public holiday in Ireland. Are there any concerns with this plan? (Places closed, etc.)
  3. After a day of driving from Cork to complete the Ring of Kerry, should we plan to stay overnight in Killarney before heading to Galway City the following day... or would you recommend taking the Tarbert car ferry and overnight on the Dingle Peninsula instead?
  4. Can you take a look at our itinerary below and let me know if you have any suggestions? I’d appreciate it!
    • Fri, 3/29: Arrive in Dublin in early am. Explore the city including Kilmainham Gaol Prison and Trinity College Library
    • Sat 3/30: All day in Dublin. (Explore the city and visit the Guinness Storehouse)
    • Sun 3/31: Drive from Dublin to the Rock of Cashel (1hr 45 min drive). Continue drive to Blarney Castle (1hr 15min drive). (Overnight at a hotel or castle in Cork)
    • Mon 4/1: Drive from Cork to Ring of Kerry. Overnight in Killarney or Dingle Peninsula.
    • Tues 4/2: Drive from Killarney (or Dingle Peninsula) to Galway (3 hr drive). Overnight in Galway City.
    • Wed 4/3: Day in Galway City. (Possible day trip to Cliffs of Moher- 3 hr round-trip drive). Overnight in Galway City.
    • Thurs 4/4: Drive from Galway City to Sean’s Bar (1 hr drive). Continue to drive to Dublin Airport Hotel for flight home early the next morning.

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 28 Jan 2024 11:40 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Tue 30 Apr 2024 8:57 AM Visits: 3K
Hi Jay,

There is a castle stays accommodation page worth checking out, though there aren't many options for traditional castles in Cork, so it might be more fruitful for one of your other locations. For Cork, Castlemartyr Resort, whilst not a castle in the traditional sense, it offers a luxurious experience in a historic setting.

Regarding your concern about Easter Monday (April 1st), it's indeed a public holiday in Ireland. While some attractions may have altered hours or closures, major tourist destinations like the Ring of Kerry usually remain accessible. However, it's always wise to check ahead for any specific closures or changes to operating hours.

With choosing between staying in Killarney or exploring the Dingle Peninsula after driving the Ring of Kerry, both options offer unique experiences. If you prefer a more bustling town atmosphere with plenty of dining and accommodation options, Killarney is a great choice. However, if you seek a quieter and more scenic retreat, the Dingle Peninsula offers breathtaking landscapes and charming villages. The decision ultimately depends on your preference for ambiance and activities.

Some of these trip ideas can help with inspiration for your itinerary, particularly those like 'southern peninsulas'. 

Let me know if you have any other questions and I would be happy to help. 

Cathaoir 
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 28 Jan 2024 12:17 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)Gaining Respect (113 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 28 Jan 2024 12:16 PM Visits: 6
Cathaoir,
Thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate it.