Seeking Information about Britt Family 1700's

Seeking Information about Britt Family 1700's

Author
Posted Mon 29 Jan 2024 12:30 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 29 Jan 2024 12:27 PM Visits: 2
Our family history goes back to a story of three brothers (which is not uncommon I have heard) who came to America from Ireland to America.  So far I have not found any evidence of the port they came in or the original point they left from.  My ancestor is Hugh Britt Sr. who is estimated to have been born sometime between 1745 and 1775.  I have no information about the brothers names, only that they settled in North Carolina and the other in Kentucky.  The earliest record we have of Hugh Britt Sr. is in Georgia in 1820 Census. At that point he was between the age of 60 and 70.  Any information about Hugh Britt SR or his two brothers would be appreciated including where in Ireland they came from.
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 30 Jan 2024 9:57 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (226 reputation)Community Expert (226 reputation)Community Expert (226 reputation)Community Expert (226 reputation)Community Expert (226 reputation)Community Expert (226 reputation)Community Expert (226 reputation)Community Expert (226 reputation)Community Expert (226 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 13
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 3:04 PM Visits: 3K
Hi Megan, 

As a general rule, prior to 1890, you are more likely to identify passengers at the port of arrival as opposed to the port of departure. You need to check the website of the appropriate National Archives, in this case, the National Archives and Records Administration in the USA.

Prior to 1864 records were kept in the form of church and parish records, while some of these have been regrettably lost, all the surviving records have been sorted into county-based genealogical centers. This link also includes property and landed estates, so this could help with your research on Margaret. You can also search the church records here

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will try to assist.

Cathaoir