Rent in Dublin, return in Belfast?

Rent in Dublin, return in Belfast?

Author
Posted Sun 11 Feb 2024 5:14 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 8
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 11 Feb 2024 5:15 PM Visits: 100
Our plan is to spend 8 days touring Ireland from Dublin west, then north to Belfast. Our hope was to drop the care at the Belfast airport and fly to Edinburgh. Is it possible to do this? I can't find a rental company that will allow a pick up in Ireland and drop off in Northern Ireland.

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 11 Feb 2024 9:57 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 27
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 4:35 AM Visits: 76.6K
Hi Tom,

Your road-trip clockwise around the island sounds fabulous! 

I had a look and while companies usually allow to travel between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, I couldn't really find a rental agency that allows one-way rental from Dublin to Belfast. Entreprise for instance allows one-way rentals for an additional fee, but I would check with them first whether it also applies between Dublin and Belfast. Their online search tool doesn't show any results for this option.

What I would suggest instead is dropping off the car at Dublin Airport and take a bus to Belfast from there. (plus the money you would save on the one-way fee may offset the cost of the bus tickets). The Transport for Ireland journey planner is quite useful here.

Any idea what you'd like to see and do during those 8 days with us?

Cheers,
Antoine