Please help a family of 5 plan a self driven tour (Dublin to Galway)

Please help a family of 5 plan a self driven tour (Dublin to Galway)

Author
Posted Wed 21 Feb 2024 7:41 PM
View Quick Profile
Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 29 Feb 2024 2:03 AM Visits: 17
Hi All,
We are a family of 5...2 adults, 3 kids (12,9,7) flying into Dublin from the states on 3/21 and flying out of Dublin on 3/30. I started researching stops along the drive and towns to stay in and visit and WOW...so many amazing options. We are hoping to have 3 "home bases" to do day trips from so we don't need to pack up and move each day. We were thinking first evening stay in Dublin after seeing a few sites. Leave the following morning (3/22) and head to Cork, stopping in Kilkenny along the way. Stay in Cork 3/22, 3/23, 3/24. Haven't figured out which sites would be day trips from here besides a visit to Cobh and the titanic experience for my daughter. Leaving Cork on 3/25 but not sure if we should stay in dingle or somewhere else for 2 nights before getting to Galway on 3/27 and staying until 3/29 where we would head back to Dublin to stay the last night and get to airport the following morning. Also does anyone have any info on returning the car in Galway and taking the train to Dublin? We love trying foods of the country we are visiting, unique experiences, the amazing outdoors, speaking to locals and a few touristy must sees as well. First time posting in any kind of forum like this. Hope someone had the patience to read through this and could offer some advice. Thank you in advance. 
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 22 Feb 2024 6:31 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 21
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 6 Mar 2024 1:16 PM Visits: 9.4K
Hi Rachel, 

That sounds like an exciting trip you have lined up there! And yes, you are right, there are so many options for activities and things to see that it can be a bit tricky to narrow things down. If you need suggestions for child friendly activities, I recommend this community thread as well. 

As for your schedule, here are some thoughts and suggestions:
  • Cork is somewhat of a foodie paradise and I would recommend to plan a visit to the English Market to try some local delicacies
  • Kinsale is very quirky and might be a good day trip from Cork
  • Dingle is not to be missed and if you decide on a different place to stay (between Cork and Galway), I would recommend at least a day trip here
  • Bunratty Castle and Folk Park is a family favourite and located half way between Cork and Galway

With regards to dropping off your car in Galway, that is something we would recommend checking upfront with the rental company. You could either take the train or a bus back to Dublin and you can find timetables online

I would suggest planning some rainy day activities (just in case...) as well as some more outdoorsy activities. If you need any more suggestions on day trips and activities feel free to let us know a bit more about your families' interests. 

Happy planning, 
Sarah