Travel on the road with dog

Travel on the road with dog

Author
Posted Fri 23 Feb 2024 1:54 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 8
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 23 Feb 2024 1:59 PM Visits: 156
Good morning, I'm Italian and I was thinking to do an on the road trip with my dog. The final destination I will doing will be Dublin or/and the coast. Can I travel by car from England? What I need for my dog? Have you got any important tips or place/locations/hotel/restaurant to recommended where the dogs are allowed?
Thanks for the help. 
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 24 Feb 2024 11:37 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Sat 27 Apr 2024 11:05 AM Visits: 623
Hello!

Your on-the-road adventure sounds like a great idea, and bringing your furry companion along makes it even better. 😄

When it comes to traveling from England to Ireland by car, you'll need to catch a ferry from Liverpool to Dublin or Belfast.
Just ensure you have all the necessary documents for yourself and your dog.
There is a page you can consult for all the information on what you need to travel to Ireland with your four-legged friend. 🐶

Many accommodations, restaurants, and even some beaches welcome canine companions.
When planning your trip, look out for pet-friendly hotels and guesthouses along your route. This thread might be useful!
In any case, I always recommend contacting the facilities directly.

I hope this information is useful and if you need further help, please reply to this thread.
Puoi scriverci anche in italiano!

Have a great day. ☘️

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 1 Mar 2024 5:15 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 12:02 PM Visits: 76.1K
Hi there B G! 

I hope your road-trip with your dog will become a reality!

As Elisa said, you'd need to take the ferry between the UK and Ireland. There are crossings between Holyhead (Liverpool) and Dublin which are only a few hours long, as well as from Fishguard in Wales to Rosslare in County Wexford (along the south east coast of Ireland)

The required documents for pet travel are the EU pet passport, be microchipped, vaccinated against rabbies and your dog would need to get a tapeworm treatment before the journey. I'd suggest having a look at the ferry providers for any additional requirements when travelling with pets : some companies such as Stena Line have kennels on board or offer pet friendly cabins on some of their routes. 😊

Do you already have an itinerary in mind for this road-trip, so that we can give you relevant suggestions for pet friendly accommodations and activities?

In the meantime, we got a few pet friendly accommodation listings on this dedicated page. The B&B Ireland website also lets you filter by pet-friendly listings. For pubs and restaurants, you can also have a look at Bring Fido and Dog Friendly Ireland.

Let us know how your plans go and hopefully we can help you more! 

Antoine