Living in Ireland & Rentals

Living in Ireland & Rentals

Author
Posted Mon 26 Feb 2024 1:24 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 7:53 PM Visits: 23
Hello! 

I wondered if those living in Ireland can share what it may be like living there (Dublin specifically). I am looking into applying for a role in Dublin, and aside from visiting in 2011, I really know nothing about what it's like living there. 

What are the expenses like - rent, utilities, groceries, etc. As far as rentals go, is there an online forum that is used to look up rentals? Any advice on what to look for, or where to live? What is transportation like, if you don't have a car?

Any advice and bits of information would be useful and appreciated! 

Thank you, 

Alanna

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 26 Feb 2024 3:44 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 5 hours ago Visits: 76.1K
Hi Alanna!

Welcome to our Community! It's exciting that you are considering a move to Dublin, I hope it will all work out for you :) 

I have never lived in the city myself (only visited), but hopefully some locals will jump in with more knowledge. I usually find websites like daft.ie or myhome.ie to be a good starting point for comparing rent prices in Ireland. 

For the cost of living, it really depends! For groceries, you have hard discount supermarkets like Lidl, mid-range such as Tesco and grocery shops on the pricier side like Dunnes. The Numbeo website may give you an estimate of the costs of living in Dublin, even though it might not be 100% accurate (you can compare with the city where you currently live).

Last but not least, we got a handy article about public transportation in Dublin and the Transport for Ireland website will give you more info about the fares and transportation cards.

Hopefully you already have leads to begin with. :) What made you choose Dublin in the first place? And how was it when you visited more than 10 years ago?

Cheers,
Antoine
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 13 Mar 2024 12:48 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 7:53 PM Visits: 23
Thanks for your detailed reply, Antoine! 

I will look into these websites and the information that you provided. 

When my family and I visited in 2011, we did some exploring in Dublin, and for the most part, it seemed like a great area. I noticed there was a lot of drinking and more rowdy activities hah, which isn't my style, but perhaps that is like several cities. I enjoyed parts of the coast and landscapes/countryside more than the city -- but that's even how I am here in the U.S. 

We also visited family - and I have dual citizenship there. I absolutely love my Irish roots and would love to get to know them more. 

Regards, 

Alanna 
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 13 Mar 2024 8:57 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Thu 25 Apr 2024 8:21 PM Visits: 4.8K
Hi Alanna,

That's such an exciting project you have there! This overview of Dublin's quarters might prove interesting in order to get a better feel for the different areas of the city. A good way of exploring from afar is to watch walking tour videos of the city on channels like YouTube. And don't forget that Dublin has its own green spaces if you feel like you need to escape the busy city atmosphere. Phoenix Park is in fact the largest enclosed public park in any capital city in Europe, while the Wicklow Mountains National Park are just a short bus ride away. 

There are also several coastal towns within easy reach of Dublin (such as with the DART trains), including the likes of Howth and Malahide. These places might be the right fit for you, blending coastal living and proximity to the city and its activities and amenities. 

I hope this helps a little more with familiarising yourself with Dublin and its surroundings!

Best,

Alex