Traveling by bus with a big suitcase(ex. Dublin-Galway, Galway-Ennis, Ennis- Killarney,...

Traveling by bus with a big suitcase(ex. Dublin-Galway,...

Author
Posted Fri 8 Mar 2024 3:36 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 8
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 16 Mar 2024 3:41 AM Visits: 41
Hello!
I'm planning to travel by long distance bus .
Could I carry a big  suitcase(24 inches trolley)  on the bus instead of putting it in the luggage compartment?
Because of concerning about it being  taken by mistake or stolen  at numerous stops .
In Ireland,   
when loading luggage into the luggage compartment do the driver attach a luggage tag 
 and check the luggage tag when picking up the luggage?

If you have any experience or know of someone who has taken a bus in Ireland I  would appreciated it if you could respond.
I emailed the bus company but got no reply at all
Thank you

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 8 Mar 2024 1:14 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (362 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (362 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (362 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (362 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (362 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (362 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (362 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (362 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (362 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 1:25 PM Visits: 673
Hi Haruna,

It's good that you are planning a trip to Ireland. From my experience of travelling by bus in Ireland, including with Bus Eireann and Aircoach, generally larger bags must be places in the luggage compartment.

For example, Bus Eireann states this on their website. Only hand luggage, something that is capable of being stored in the overhead rack or beneath the seat, is allowed onto the bus itself. This is done in order to ensure the comfort of all passengers.

The website also states that "personal effects or items of luggage of a relatively expensive nature should not be packed in luggage placed in the luggage compartment, but should be kept in a passenger's hand luggage or on the person of that passenger. Bus Éireann will not be liable for any loss of or damage to such articles if placed in the luggage compartment."

If you are worried about your luggage being taken by another passenger by mistake, perhaps you could make it look distinctive by choosing a colourful bag or tying something distinctive to the outside. I, personally, have never experienced or heard of luggage being taken by another passenger while travelling in Ireland.

Also, in my experience, drivers do not attach a luggage tag to items that are placed in the luggage compartment.

I hope this information will be helpful to you and perhaps other members of the community can offer their advise, too.

Regards,
Eoin

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 9 Mar 2024 3:59 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
I deeply appreciate your kind reply.
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 9 Mar 2024 6:34 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 18
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Tue 30 Apr 2024 11:53 PM Visits: 26.2K
Hello Haruna,

Thank you for your kind words!

I would agree with Eoin and recommend keeping any valuable or indispensable items in your hand luggage which you take on the bus with you. I too have only had positive experiences travelling on the island and having luggage stored without issues in the luggage storage compartment. 🧳🚌

We're here for you if you need anything else!

Rebecca ☘️
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 11 Mar 2024 5:25 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Hello Rebecca,

Thank you for your kind advice.
 I feel much more at ease when you tell me about your experience.

Traveler who planned a two-week trip and flew for 14 hours packed in suitcase with  all daily necessities
(cell phone chargers, medication I take,  all clothes, etc.)  So a traveler's suitcase is also a valuable item.   

I had read several reports on  travel for Ireland information sites about luggage being stolen on bus trips in Ireland, so I was worried.

According to your advice and experience In Ireland,
 it is okay to worry less about luggage theft like in Italy, France, Germany, and India.
I understand the meaning to some extent and prepare for our travel.

If we travel to Ireland from April to May, I am encouraged by your advice.
I will  thank you again when the trip is completed safely.

Once again I deeply appreciate your reply.
With a gratitude
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 11 Mar 2024 10:56 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 36 minutes ago Visits: 76.1K
I'm glad those first hand experiences reassured you, Haruna! 

I took a long distance bus myself (between Dublin and Galway using citylink) and there was no problem whatsoever loading bigger suitcases into the luggage compartiment. The driver will even help you. 

If you are concerned about someone taking your luggage, you can always take a window seat to have a glance when passengers exit the bus for peace of mind, or attach a custom name tag to your suitcase. Honestly though, I don't see such incidents happening in Ireland. 

Do you already know which itinerary you'll follow throughout April? We can certainly help with suggestions.

Cheers,
Antoine
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 12 Mar 2024 5:47 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Dear Antoine,

Thank you so much your thoughtful advice.
I feel very relieved and have less to worry about.

I appreciate your reply.