Suggestions for my 10 days roadtrip in May

Suggestions for my 10 days roadtrip in May

Author
Posted Mon 11 Mar 2024 3:06 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 12 Mar 2024 9:39 PM Visits: 8
Hi all,

Planning a surprise roadtrip in Ireland for my partner's birthday, below my itinerary. Would welcome any thoughts on the distances (are they ok?), whiwh parts of the WAW road can be feasible without extending the drive for loo long between each stop of the roadtrip? Suggestions for must do in the areas we will be staying at (outdoor and indoor activities in case of wet weather):
- Fly to Cork and rent a car from Cork airport. 1 night in Kinsale
- Drive from Kinsale to Killarney. Is it feasible to do a bit of wild atlantic road on the way, or better to drive directly to Killarney? 
3 nights in Killarney. Will do Ring of Kerry, Gap of Dunloe, Ladies View during the stay in Killarney.
- Drive to Cliffs of Moher (again, which part of the WAW road could be doable on the way?). 1 night in Ennistinon (close to the cliffs)
- Drive to Clifden (which part of the WAW on the way?). 2 nights in Clifden.
- Drive to Dublin. 2 nights in Dublin, and one day to Game of Throne Studios from Dublin.
-Fly back to Paris from Dublin.
Grateful for any feedback and suggestions!
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 12 Mar 2024 9:23 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 27
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 4:35 AM Visits: 76.6K
Hi Emilie! 

I'm sure he'll love the surprise! What an amazing gift! 

This 10 days itinerary seems great, with longer stops in Kerry and Connemara to rest, so you won't feel like you are spending too much time packing or driving.

Since you got 3 nights in Killarney (2 full days to explore the Ring of Kerry), you can maybe spare time in West Cork (let's say start in Kinsale, then Mizen Head and perhaps Bantry Bay on the way to Killarney). It might seem a bit much though so pick a place or two along the road, I always recommend spending more time in a few places than trying to rush to see it all. 

For the day spent driving between the Cliffs of Moher and Clifden, I'd suggest stopping by the Burren, Galway (or Salthill nearby for lunch) and then follow the coastal stretch of the Wild Atlantic Way passing by Roundstone, Dog's Bay and the Skyroad until you reach Clifden. Alternatively, you can drive inlands through the boglands (Maam Cross, Derryclare Lough) and see the coastline the next day (maybe make your plans according to the weather).

Are there any activities (hikes, built heritage or culture) that you and your partner are interested in? Maybe you can spare half a day trip for a boat trip (the Aran Islands or the Blasket Islands for instance) if that's something you are interested in. Has your car rental agency a different drop-off option? (don't forget your credit card)

A bientôt,
Antoine
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 12 Mar 2024 9:35 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 12 Mar 2024 9:39 PM Visits: 8
Thank you so much Antoine!! Extremely useful advices for further refining my trip!
Yes the car that I rent had this option for different drop off location so all good (also ensured I have the right credit card as I know those can be problematic in car rental).
Regarding the activities, I take notes of your suggestion for the boat trip to one of the island, will further think about it.
Thanks so much again!
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 13 Mar 2024 8:05 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (290 reputation)Community Expert (290 reputation)Community Expert (290 reputation)Community Expert (290 reputation)Community Expert (290 reputation)Community Expert (290 reputation)Community Expert (290 reputation)Community Expert (290 reputation)Community Expert (290 reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 6:48 AM Visits: 5K
Great to see your ideas coming along nicely, Emilie! 

On your drive from Clifden to Dublin, and if time allows, you might enjoy breaking up the journey by stopping by the ancient monastic site of Clonmacnoise or alternatively the picturesque and historical town of Athlone

In Dublin, make sure not to miss out on some of the cities' top sights, as well as taking the time to explore and get a feel for its different neighbourhoods.  Experiencing a night out in Dublin's famous trad music pubs can also be an enriching experience, and if you're looking for some ideas for eating out, this article here has got you covered.

Happy planning!

Alex