Itinerary

Itinerary

Author
Posted Tue 26 Mar 2024 3:27 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (123 reputation)Gaining Respect (123 reputation)Gaining Respect (123 reputation)Gaining Respect (123 reputation)Gaining Respect (123 reputation)Gaining Respect (123 reputation)Gaining Respect (123 reputation)Gaining Respect (123 reputation)Gaining Respect (123 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 10
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 7:34 PM Visits: 529
Hi,

We are planning about a week and a half trip to Ireland first part of June..  Want to have a good layout of  where to head and what to see.  I know for sure a few days in Dublin and then on the list would be Cliffs of Moher, Cork, for sure some castles??? and really we are open to other places Galway? Killarney??  I am at a loss as how to plan this trip.. Any help is appreciated::))
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 27 Mar 2024 4:21 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (4 reputation)Community Expert (4 reputation)Community Expert (4 reputation)Community Expert (4 reputation)Community Expert (4 reputation)Community Expert (4 reputation)Community Expert (4 reputation)Community Expert (4 reputation)Community Expert (4 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 5
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Tue 2 Apr 2024 5:55 PM Visits: 93
Hello Toni,

Super to hear that you are planning to visit us in June. The amount of you time you will spend in Ireland is plenty to do all you hope to do. If your port of entry/exit is Dublin, it could make sense to have a couple days there to stretch your legs before travelling further to Cliffs of Moher, Cork etc. This could also work well the other way round before embarking on your journey back home.  

A good way to kickstart your planning is to take a look at this extensive Ireland Guide which contains handy information about many aspects from preparing for your journey to trip ideas. There are plenty of different options for accommodation, including castles. Have you considered your preferred method for getting around the island yet? I would be happy to provide more details about the various options if you tell a bit more about your preferences.

There is plenty to see and do in Dublin. As you are planning to spend a limited amount of time in the city, you could take a look at this 72h trip idea. Cliffs of Moher are roughly a 3,5h drive from Dublin. It's not far from picturesque Galway City so you could consider adding that to your itinerary. Co. Cork is just a short drive in South-East with plenty of activities to choose from, including the famous Blarney Castle near Cork City. With over 3000 castles dotted around the island of Ireland, there's sure to be something along your preferred route.

I hope this gets you off the ground but I'd love to give more pointers based on your preferences. 

Cheers,
Lauri
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 28 Mar 2024 3:38 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (123 reputation)Gaining Respect (123 reputation)Gaining Respect (123 reputation)Gaining Respect (123 reputation)Gaining Respect (123 reputation)Gaining Respect (123 reputation)Gaining Respect (123 reputation)Gaining Respect (123 reputation)Gaining Respect (123 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 10
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 7:34 PM Visits: 529
Lauri,

So right spend a couple days in Dublin upon arrival and then I was thinking about taking the train to Cork.. To see the Cliffs of Moher I was thinking ,maybe 1.) taking a guided bus trip, or 2.) renting a car and driving there and then driving the rest of the rout to Galway...3.) Or should we not rent a car and continue to travel by rail to Galway and take bus tours to see our other interests?? Then back to Dublin for at least the day before departure... Thoughts??
another thought Dublin train to cork day in Cork rent care and do the ring of Kerry scenic route???  If that is an option where could we join the route to then end up in killarny for a night? 

Thanks,
Toni
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 29 Mar 2024 12:01 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:57 AM Visits: 3K
Hi Toni,

Each option has it's own merits. 

If you choose to go from Dublin to Cork, then rent a car in Cork, you can indeed explore the Ring of Kerry from there. You can start the Ring of Kerry scenic route from Killarney. From Cork to Killarney is about a 1.5 to 2-hour drive depending on the route you take. Once in Killarney, you can explore the Ring of Kerry at your own pace, taking in the stunning landscapes and stopping at various viewpoints along the way. After completing the route, you can spend the night in Killarney before returning to Dublin.

Also remember that there are many day trips you can take from Dublin and Galway using public transport, a day trip tour operator or a rental car for more flexibility.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cathaoir