Drone at customs

Drone at customs

Author
Posted Wed 3 Apr 2024 5:37 PM
View Quick Profile
Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)Junior Member (62 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 5:38 AM Visits: 2
Hello,
I'm planning to go to Ireland this summer, and I'd like to take a drone with me for personal use, bought in France. I'd like to know if I'll have to go through customs, if so what I need to do to ensure that the check goes smoothly and if I need to provide any documents, proof, etc.
Thank you for your answers.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 8 Apr 2024 9:57 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 6:47 PM Visits: 76.1K
Bonjour Alexis,

I'm sorry you didn't get a reply earlier, and it's great that you want to capture drone footages during your next visit.

According to the Citizens' Information website, you need to register your drone in France in case it's heavier than 250 grams (if you have a DJI Mavic Mini or similar, that wouldn't be an issue). Once done, you won't have problems flying it in Ireland and getting through customs, given that you respect the flight zones and safety precautions detailed on the IAA website

What are some of the landscapes you'd like to capture from bird's eye view? Watch out for the wind, I managed to get Howth Head footages but it was a bit tense (I'm flying a Mavic Air).

A bientôt,
Antoine