18 days in Ireland

18 days in Ireland

Author
Posted Sun 14 Apr 2024 1:46 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 13
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 16 Apr 2024 8:02 PM Visits: 2.7K
My wife and I will be 18 days in Ireland driving ourselves. My question is what 4-6 towns/cities should we base out? We really love seeing the natural beauty ie; waterfalls and also love the amazing history of ruins, castles and cemeteries. Suggestions welcome. We will be there last 2.5 weeks of May. Thanks in advance
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 15 Apr 2024 10:10 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 10:23 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Anthony,

It's wonderful to hear that you and your wife will be over with us at the end of May for a bit of a road trip! 🚗

There is a page on our website on Trip ideas that you may wish to have a look at, one in particular, is a 12 day tour around the island of Ireland. These are locations predominately around the coast but there are lots of great places to see in Ireland's Hidden Heartlands too.

Depending on whether you arrive at Dublin or Shannon airports will decide on where you start to base yourselves. If you wish to stay near the cities as bases then Dublin is an easy choice. Then Kilkenny, Cork, Killarney, although not a city a super base for the southwest, Galway, Donegal, Derry~Londonderry, and Belfast. I have gone over the 6 limit but it is difficult to reduce the island of Ireland down much further unless you can spend more time driving each day from your base.

There is an accommodation search page on our website to find places to stay as you travel around. Just scroll down to the where do you want to stay section and use the filters to refine your search by location and type. There is also some information on driving in Ireland that may be helpful too.

Is this your first visit over to see us?

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 15 Apr 2024 12:45 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)
Martin,
Thank you for your reply. This is actually our 2nd visit, we were there last yr for 13 full days as first timers and I drove it. Over 1200 miles and we absolutely fell in love with it, so we are coming back. This time for almost a month! We really love the coast, but I'm sure there's hidden gems on the inner part of Ireland also. We'd like to try a few b&b's. Our first couple of stays will be in a town Moyle, then we drop my brother and sister in law off at airport and we have a stay in Wicklow. It's after that I'm not sure where to go. But, I've learned one thing, there's no bad spots so we're in a win, win! Thanks again 
Tony
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 15 Apr 2024 4:40 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)Community Expert (256 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:57 AM Visits: 3K
Hi Anthony, 

It is wonderful to hear you are returning again.

Ireland's midlands offer a different landscape with historic sites like Clonmacnoise in County Offaly and the serene Lough Boora Parklands. It's a quieter, more rural part of the country with its own unique charm. Since you're starting in Wicklow, continue exploring Ireland's Ancient East. Head towards Kilkenny for its medieval streets and castle, or stop by Waterford for its Viking history and beautiful coastline.

Our accommodation search and B&B Ireland have great options for you wherever you plan to go. 

Hopefully this helps. 

Cathaoir 
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 15 Apr 2024 5:59 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
Cathaoir,
     Thank you for the additional suggestions, especially about the midlands. I just know there is beauty inland as much as the coast. Waterford was definitely on my list, but wasn't really sure about until you had mentioned it. We did Killkenny last time and loved it and is a definite revisit. I will definitely use the b&b link you supplied! Thank you again. This is why we love Ireland, because of the great friendly people who are willing to help without issue. Thank you again. 
Tony
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 16 Apr 2024 9:07 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 10:23 AM Visits: 13.3K
Tony,

You are most welcome!

It's not too long until you are with us, hopefully, your itinerary is now full and you have a great time again. 💚

Please let us know when you are here and what you have managed to see.

Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 16 Apr 2024 8:02 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I most definitely will!!