Customs

Customs

Author
Posted Mon 15 Apr 2024 6:53 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 15 Apr 2024 6:51 PM Visits: 1
Hello everybody,

I am planning my trip to Ireland soon.
I would like to know if it’s legal to bring Snus (tobacco) to Ireland over the border of Germany.

If yes what’s the limit?
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 16 Apr 2024 11:03 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 18
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Tue 30 Apr 2024 11:53 PM Visits: 26.2K
Hi Julian,

It's great to hear you're planning a trip to Ireland! ☘️

Although we are aware of restrictions and allowances regarding the import of certain products such as cigarettes or smoking tobacco, I have not been able to locate official regulations specific to Snus or tobacco intended for oral use. Revenue (the Irish Tax and Customs office) states in their list of prohibited/restricted items that "Oral smokeless tobacco products [...]  are prohibited to be placed on the market in Ireland", but there is no mentioning of the import for personal use, or the legal situation around the consumption of this product in Ireland altogether.

We have some information on customs and border regulations on our website, and you can also consult the Citizens Information website. To clarify your specific case, I recommend getting in touch directly with the Citizens Information and Revenue, as well as the German customs office.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you need any tips or ideas around travel destinations and activities on our island - you are welcome to write to us in German, should you prefer it. 😊

Liebe Grüße
Rebecca