Rathlin Island

Rathlin Island

Author
Posted Tue 30 Apr 2024 3:29 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 10 May 2024 4:04 PM Visits: 7
Hello !
I plan to visit Rathlin Island this summer. Do you have any advice for visiting ?
Could you tell me if I need to book the ferry in advance, please ?
Best regards

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 30 Apr 2024 4:46 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 7 minutes ago Visits: 76.2K
Bonjour Gwenaelle,

How nice that you are planning a day trip to Rathlin Island! Are you planning to observe puffins by any chance?

I'd say it's a good idea to do so, especially since you're traveling in the Summer. There are 141 spots on the ferry but they could fill up on certain days. You always have the option to cancel as long as you contact Rathlin Ferry more than 48 hours in advance. Here's a handy link to book your tickets.

A bientôt,
Antoine

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 4 May 2024 1:20 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)
Hello Antoine,
Thank you for your answer. I'll book the ferry.
Yes, I'd like to see the seabirds, would you have any advice on the best spots on Rathin island ?
Best regards

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 4 May 2024 9:02 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Hi Gwenaelle,

Of course, I'm always happy to help.

As for observing seabirds, I'd suggest going straight to the West Light Seabird Centre at the western tip of the island. Puffins in particular are nesting from April to early July, but other seabirds will still be visible.

Let us know if you need anything else :) 

Antoine
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 10 May 2024 2:02 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 15 May 2024 2:28 PM Visits: 2.4K
Hi Gwenaelle,

Rathlin Island is an idyllic place to spend a summer's day.

There is a local web site that might also be helpful for planning your trip: https://www.rathlin360.com/visit/plan-your-visit/transport-on-rathlin/ 

To learn more about the wider Causeway Coast and Glens region and what it has to offer, please take a look at our web site: https://www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com 

Best wishes for a great day out!
Anne

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 10 May 2024 4:05 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Hello Anne !
Thank you for your answer and your advice. Could you tell me if you know the Roonivoolin walking trail, please ?
Best regards

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 13 May 2024 7:02 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Island of Ireland
Hi Gwenaelle,

I personally never walked this trail on Rathlin Island, but the WalkNI website has an overview of it. It has a few users reviews to give you an idea, a route description and it seems like the perfect trail for bird watching! 

Talk soon,
Antoine