Ideas for stop between Dublin and Killarney

Ideas for stop between Dublin and Killarney

Author
Posted Fri 10 May 2024 9:08 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 10 May 2024 10:23 PM Visits: 4
Hello!  I will be most likely taking a train in the fall between Dublin and ending in Killarney.   I would like to stop at a quaint/cute town on the way.   Any suggestions?  Preferably one the train stops at or near, or if not one that is accessible by bus from a train station.   Thinks of interest would be sightseeing of old buildings/ castles/historic areas.   Others definitely should include a good pub or two.  Nice accommodation possibilities, but nothing fancy.   Thanks for your help!
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 12 May 2024 11:10 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (382 reputation)Community Expert (382 reputation)Community Expert (382 reputation)Community Expert (382 reputation)Community Expert (382 reputation)Community Expert (382 reputation)Community Expert (382 reputation)Community Expert (382 reputation)Community Expert (382 reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Tue 3 Sep 2024 9:28 AM Visits: 3.1K
Hi Mike, 

Sounds like a delightful trip you're planning!

One charming town you might consider stopping at on your way from Dublin to Killarney is Kilkenny. It's a picturesque medieval town known for its well-preserved historic buildings, including Kilkenny Castle and St. Canice's Cathedral, with no shortage of great pubs. The train journey from Dublin to Kilkenny takes around 1.5 hours, and there are frequent services throughout the day.

Be sure to check out our accommodation search, I have pre-filtered Kilkenny for you. 

Let me know what you end up choosing as a stopover and if you have any other questions,

Cathaoir 

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 13 May 2024 7:28 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 30
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 1:57 PM Visits: 77K
Hey Mike! 

I agree with Cathaoir's reply, Kilkenny seems like to have everything you are looking for : a train station, good pubs (like the Kyteler's Inn) and of course its castle. You can even visit the Smithwick's Experience.

Another spot on the way that is already halfway through is Cashel and the iconic Rock of Cashel. You would need to get off in Thurles if you travel by train and take the bus, but it's worth a detour if you have time before reaching Killarney. We have plenty of other towns in Ireland's Ancient East, but you'd need to check how accessible they are first

Let us know which stop you end up choosing!
Antoine