Burke Family - an area of Galway called Anthany

Burke Family - an area of Galway called Anthany

Author
Posted Sun 26 May 2024 2:08 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 29 May 2024 6:13 PM Visits: 10
I'm trying to find out if the area referred to as Anthany in our family history has another name.  My many times grandmother, Cecilia Burke, daughter of James and Bridget Burke, was born in 1813 in an area called Anthany in Galway, Ireland. I cannot find any reference to Anthany.  Any assistance is most appreciated.

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 26 May 2024 11:47 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (382 reputation)Community Expert (382 reputation)Community Expert (382 reputation)Community Expert (382 reputation)Community Expert (382 reputation)Community Expert (382 reputation)Community Expert (382 reputation)Community Expert (382 reputation)Community Expert (382 reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Tue 3 Sep 2024 9:28 AM Visits: 3.1K
Hi Lynne, 

It is great to hear you are conducting some research on your family history. 

It would seem possible that "Athany" may have been misspelled for "Athenry" which is a town located approximately 25 kilometers  east of Galway city. Roots Ireland has the parish records of Co. Galway (pre 1864) for this period which may be fruitful. You can also search by first name, surname, and year. 

Let me know if you have any other questions and I would be glad to help.

Cathaoir
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 26 May 2024 8:05 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)
Thank you.  I will investigate Roots Ireland.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 27 May 2024 7:07 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 30
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 10 hours ago Visits: 77K
How exciting, Lynne! 

I had a look at Galway East parish records and there seems to be matching documents for the name Cecilia Burke. Roots Ireland unfortunately requires a paid subscription to access the results (they have one day subscriptions). The National Library of Ireland has free resources, but they don't seem to match the birthdate of your ancestor for the parish of Athenry.

Let us know how your search goes and best of luck! 

Antoine
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 27 May 2024 12:07 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Antoine,

Could you please share how you found the information on Cecilia Burke?  I have a one-month subscriptions for Roots Ireland.  I was not able to find any information on Cecilia Burke, so I must not have entered the search criteria correctly.   I tried both the Galway East Parish Records and the general Galway search to no avail. Your help is most appreciated. 

Thank you for your help.
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 29 May 2024 3:26 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 30
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 10 hours ago Visits: 77K
Hi again Lynne,

I just put Burke, Cecilia and 1813 on the Roots Ireland search page I previously shared. It displayed 3 results (birth records, marriage records and gravestone inscriptions). Unfortunately, I do not have a paid subscription myself and I'm unable to check them. It's also possible that the results are not related to your ancestor. 

Maybe you can get in touch with Roots Ireland (enquiries@rootsireland.ie) or the East Galway Family History Society (galwayroots@gmail.com) for more info?

Fingers crossed!
Antoine

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 29 May 2024 6:13 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Thank you, Antoine!  I will try those suggestions.