Northwest of Northern Ireland

Northwest of Northern Ireland

Author
Posted Tue 11 Jun 2024 8:52 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (184 reputation)Gaining Respect (184 reputation)Gaining Respect (184 reputation)Gaining Respect (184 reputation)Gaining Respect (184 reputation)Gaining Respect (184 reputation)Gaining Respect (184 reputation)Gaining Respect (184 reputation)Gaining Respect (184 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 10
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 17 Jun 2024 1:27 AM Visits: 243
I hope to be traveling around the Republic of Ireland, ending on the western side, probably Galway.  I then want to see Belfast and surrounding area.
Should I just travel directly to Belfast or is there anywhere I should see in more of a roundabout way in more of the northwest corner of the Island?
Is it difficult to cross into Northern Ireland in a private vehicle?

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 12 Jun 2024 9:46 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.6K reputation)Community Expert (70.6K reputation)Community Expert (70.6K reputation)Community Expert (70.6K reputation)Community Expert (70.6K reputation)Community Expert (70.6K reputation)Community Expert (70.6K reputation)Community Expert (70.6K reputation)Community Expert (70.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 9:52 AM Visits: 13.4K
Hi Jenny,

Thanks for joining us here with a heads up on your plans to come and see us!

If you do indeed end up in Galway during your road trip, then depending on how many days you have to spare, a trip up to County Donegal through County Sligo would be a lovely way to travel. I would also add a brief stop in Westport, County Mayo to that drive, a wonderfully photogenic location with plenty to see while in the town.

As you will be in a rental car, please makes sure you let the provider know that you intend to cross into Northern Ireland as this is a requirement for insurance purposes. Apart from that, there are no border checks on the island of Ireland the only thing you will see is a change from kmh to mph on the speed signs! 🚗

From a stopover in County Donegal it is nice to include Derry~Londonderry in your journey. Historic walls and lots of places to see before taking the scenic drive along the Causeway Coast to Belfast. A super city to spend some time in to conclude a tour of the island.

How long will you be over with us for?

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 14 Jun 2024 1:28 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.5K reputation)Industry Member (29.5K reputation)Industry Member (29.5K reputation)Industry Member (29.5K reputation)Industry Member (29.5K reputation)Industry Member (29.5K reputation)Industry Member (29.5K reputation)Industry Member (29.5K reputation)Industry Member (29.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Fri 14 Jun 2024 1:27 PM Visits: 2.4K
Hi Jenny, 
I can see that you are considering options for your forthcoming trip to Ireland. How exciting! 
Something for you to consider is including all, or at least part, of the Causeway Coastal Route in your itinerary – I am picking up on what you said about visiting Belfast and the surrounding area and Martin also alluded to it. 

This famous road is named after The Giant’s Causeway, Northern Ireland’s only UNESCO World Heritage Site with its remarkable basalt columns. https://discovernorthernireland.com/things-to-do/giants-causeway-p742371 It is located about 80 miles from Belfast or about 50 miles from Derry~Londonderry along the Coast Road. The road from Belfast hugs the coast with wonderful views of river valleys, with little villages where the rivers meet the sea as well as the bustling town of Ballycastle.  https://www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com/dbimgs/CCG%20Download%20-%20Causeway%20Coastal%20Route%20Map%20-%202023%20(mobile).pdf 

I fully understand that the challenge will probably be what to include and what to save for another time, but I just want you to know about this stunning route.  

All the best with your planning and, of course, with your trip, 

Mary.