With motorhome from Germany to Ireland

With motorhome from Germany to Ireland

Author
Posted Sat 15 Jun 2024 7:30 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 11
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 16 Jun 2024 10:21 AM Visits: 418
Hi everybody,
My husband and I are planning a trip to Ireland for two weeks Sept/Oct. We arrive and leave with the ferry at Dublin and would like to tour the west coast starting around Galway back to Dublin. I would be happy to hear from anyone if there are camping sites open or where we can park up for a couple of nights at a time.

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 16 Jun 2024 8:21 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 21
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 8:45 AM Visits: 9.5K
Hello Catherine, 

That sounds like you have a great trip planned later this year! Is it going to be your first time exploring Ireland with a campervan? 

There is a lot of general information on this website that you might find helpful for your trip planning. The Camping Ireland website lists different caravan and camping parks, and you can see how long these will be open for. Some places might close at the end of September, while others will be open through to the end of October. Do you already have any idea of your route along the Wild Atlantic Way? If you would like to let me know which places you have in mind, I can make some suggestions for you? If you are still looking for ideas for your itinerary, you can check out these road trips

I am looking forward to sending you some suggestions, and if you like you can reply in German (or in English) if you prefer. 

PS: Please bear in mind that wild camping is generally not allowed on the island of Ireland. 
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 16 Jun 2024 10:21 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 11
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 16 Jun 2024 10:21 AM Visits: 418
Thank you Sarah for info. We have changed our plans  and arrive in Dublin 4th Sept for two weeks, more chances for open camping sites. We were in Northern Ireland a couple of years back and got as far as Galway, this time we will be touring the south of Ireland before we move on to Scotland

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 17 Jun 2024 4:57 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 18
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Tue 20 Aug 2024 7:38 PM Visits: 28.9K
Hi Catherine,

How nice that you'll have the opportunity to close the loop and continue your journey to explore the southern coast! 🗺️
It's also good to hear that you have been able to change your travel dates for more choice of open campsites. The website of Camping Ireland which Sarah shared with you is very useful in finding suitable campsites. You could also use their map view which is very handy for planning your itinerary. Feel free to further browse the pages Sarah shared with you, you can also use the search function at the top right of our website if you'd like to find out more about specific destinations. We're happy to help if any more questions come up! 🧭☘️

Happy planning!
Rebecca