Establishing identity

Establishing identity

Author
Posted Tue 9 Jul 2024 3:02 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (179 reputation)Gaining Respect (179 reputation)Gaining Respect (179 reputation)Gaining Respect (179 reputation)Gaining Respect (179 reputation)Gaining Respect (179 reputation)Gaining Respect (179 reputation)Gaining Respect (179 reputation)Gaining Respect (179 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 10
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 10 Jul 2024 2:37 PM Visits: 346
Is it possible to establish the Nationality of someone, and I mean Irish Nationality, just by their name.

Thanks 
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 10 Jul 2024 7:31 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 30
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 10 hours ago Visits: 77K
Hi David! 

Thanks for your question and welcome to our Community!

I believe that having an Irish first or last name does not necessarily mean someone is Irish by nationality. The name might reflect their heritage, family background, or simply a preference for Irish first names. There are, however, last names strongly associated with Ireland (Murphy, O'Brien, Kelly, O'Neill for example).

I hope this answers your question :) 

Are you looking into finding distant relatives based on a specific surname by any chance?

Antoine

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 10 Jul 2024 10:14 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (179 reputation)Gaining Respect (179 reputation)Gaining Respect (179 reputation)Gaining Respect (179 reputation)Gaining Respect (179 reputation)Gaining Respect (179 reputation)Gaining Respect (179 reputation)Gaining Respect (179 reputation)Gaining Respect (179 reputation)
Antoine,

No, not searching for Irish heritage as my Father was Irish, so pretty much up on this.

In this case, and thanks for the speedy reply, in a legal case where appropriate documents are required for employment, one party is claiming that you can establish that a party is Irish just by the name, meaning that they do not need to see paper work proof.

They are lying, of course, as I rightly supposed that no Country will reveal details of an individual, their own National or not, but I wanted to make sure of this as presenting facts in a Court wins the day over lies.

Are you an Irish National.

Again, thank you for the reply.

Best regards

David.
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 10 Jul 2024 1:29 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 30
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 10 hours ago Visits: 77K
Thanks for getting back to us, David. It seems like I misunderstood your first question.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Our Community forum team is based both on the island of Ireland and in some key markets where overseas visitors come from.

As we usually give advice on travel and ancestry queries, I'm afraid legal matters are outside of our scope.

I hope you find closure with this case,
Antoine
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 10 Jul 2024 2:20 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Antoine,

Be assured, your answer was the kind of confirmation I needed, and as I asked the question in number of varied places, from a legal standpoint, the answer we have now resolves the situation completely. 

Thanks again, most kind.

Best regards

David.